Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pain after spinal fusion?

Dear CCF Doctor,

On December 9th, I had a suboccipital craniectomy for Chiari Type I malformation and C3-6 laminectomy, partial C2 laminectomy, partial C7 laminectomy, bilateral C3-4 through C6-7 formninoctomies, bilateral C3-4 through C-67 arthrodesis and instrumentation with Cervi-Fix hardware.  Can you explain to me what foraminotomies and arthrodesis are?  

All in all I am doing very well with the exception of pain in my upper shoulders and upper arms.  Could this be due to the fact that muscles were cut during surgery?  I will be starting PT this week for the pain.  The more I use my arms the worse the pain can become, do you think this is normal?

I realize this is a bunch of surgery, is this the norm for recovery?

Thanks for your time!
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, long-term pain post lumbar spinal fusion was started.
Helpful - 0
My surgeon is planning surgery to relieve pain and numbness caused by spinal stenosis.  Now he also suggests spinal fusion.  Should these be done at same time or would it be better to recover from the stenosis surgery before doing the spinal fusion?
Helpful - 0
Dear Dr. RPS,

Thanks for the informaiton.  My Neurosurgon is out of state, but I did talk to him and he said what I am experiencing is normal.  I will continue with PT and also he has suggested acupunture.  Well, living near Ann Arbor I have managed to find a seventh generation acupuncturist who is great, and seems to be helping. I just think I had a great deal of surgery and recovery will be long.  As for the Chiari symptoms, they are MUCH better.  In the past I have been dx with CFS, Fibro, Orthostatic Intolerance, just to find out all along it was the Chiari.  20/20 will be airing a segment this month about all of this.......should cause some controversy in the medical profession.....but I know first hand these are all related.  With the exception of my neck I have not felt this good in 12 years!.
Helpful - 0
Dear Dorothy:

Yes pain is normal after any surgery, especially the spine.  However, the time of pain, the intensity of the pain, and the duration of the pain varies between patient and procedure.  I cannot tell you exactly but you are in the majority with pain at this time after surgery.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
I have had some experience with spinal fusion in people with muscular dystrophy and as a support worker, I can confidently say that yes, the pain is normal.  Please do still see your neuro serg, for a regular checkup to make sure things are going the way they should, but the pain will eventually go away.  I've seen video of the procedure being done, it really does not suprise me that it hurts for a while after.

Good luck, and hang in there.
Helpful - 0
I guess my real question was in your expierence at seven weeks post op should I still be experiencing muscle tightness and pain from the surgery.  Just comparing.  I just started PT and plan to follow through with that.  Thanks
Helpful - 0
Sorry I didn't help much.

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
Thanks, your help is much appreciated!
Helpful - 0
Dear Dorothy:

You should ask your neurosurgeon and I bet he/she would be overjoyed to talk to you about what he/she did in surgery.  The foramnia are areas of the vertebra that the nerves exit and the surgeon removed these.  The occurrance of pain is normal, be sure to stick with the rehab as this is critical to recovery.

Sincerely,  

CCF Neuro mD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease