Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pain in legs

Dear Doctor,                                                                                                                                                                           Cheshire, UK.
       I am almost 71 and in good health but last September  I began to experience pain in the area behind both knees, by the sides of and just above the popliteal fossa.  Sometimes one leg was was affected, sometimes the other but now sometimes both at once.  Recently, it has become worse and it makes driving the car more than a few miles excrutiating.  It also has started to cause pain on the front and side of each shin,  in the centre of the gastrocnemius and on parts of my feet but never all at once.  Flexure of both knees, as in climbing the stairs, can be quite painful but there are times when this does not hurt at all.  The worst pain commences after I have been sitting or lying  in most positions for some time but usually stops when I walk about.  Lying on either side in bed rapidly brings the pain on so that I can sleep only on my back.  Getting out of bed in the morning is very painful until I have walked about for a while.  Strangely, riding my bicycle has posed no problems and seems to dispel the pain.  Please could you advise?
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
thanks for the comment.

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
In regard to Bruce Lien, Bruce, when they do a hysterectomy, the legs are put in odd positions for the surgery. I am a Cert. Massage Therapist for 10 Yrs. now and help all kind of people with back leg problems among Fibromalgia Numbness/pain down arms and legs etc. Has she tried a good massage therapist. Call a school that teaches this in your area to get a qualified one that does Specific work. PSOAS muscle and ILLIACUS muscle are very very deep into the low back Illiacus in the hip. There are massage therapists out there who address and release these muscles. PSOAS is connected to the femur (bone)thigh-and to the lower lumbar area. This muscle can literally PULL you right down into fetal position if intense enough. And if it is an uneven pull, you might even experience if left too long, a ruptured disk
I was there, with my back that is what got me into this line of work. It is worth a try! believe me.  When working on the Illiacus and Psoas, make sure they also address PIRIFORMIS muscle in the glutes (butt)as this is the antagonist to the others I listed. I wish you LUCK.
Connie Nelson
Helpful - 0
Back in 1992 my mother had a radical hysterectomy for advandced cervical cancer. 2 months before her surgery, she had been on a chemotherepy drug called mvac. the doctor was very pleased at the response of the chemo to her cancer. after returning home after surgery, my mother was doing quite well physically and emotionally. she then had to go through treatments of radiation after only a few weeks at home. Rochester Mayo set up her treatments through our hospital here. After her treatments were finished she almost immediatly noticed walking problems. Eversince this radiation treatment she has had nothing but problems with extreme pain in boths legs and has had trouble walking with cordination. Pain medications are not helping this problem at all. Does somebody have any idea what we could do for her. She has been through so much and it hurts our family to see her struggling with this problem.
Helpful - 0
Dear Nancy Calvert:

It is difficult to assess you over the internet.  I guess the first thing to do is rule out any problems from the RA.  Arthritis can cause foramen narrowing.  A full neurological examination is likely needed, some lab tests, and probably imaging of your spine by MRI.  Once these tests have been performed and some results are gained, your neurologist will have a better idea how to proceed.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
Dear Mr. Donnan:

It is difficult to tell you, as I don't have the physical exam and history to help me.  Usually, when exercise increases mobility and inactivity worsens symptoms, the problem is in the muscles. You don't describe shooting or radiating pain which usually indicates a nerve problem. I think a good neurological exam and a few labs might help clarify the matter.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
RE LEG PAIN, THE PAIN I EXPERIENCE IS IN BOTH THIGH'S,ITS MORE DULL,AND MY THIGHS ARE COLD ,I CANT SEEM TO KEEP THEM WARM,UNLESS I USE HOT PACKS,MY FEET ARE COLD AS WELL, I CANT FIND OUT THE REASON FOR THIS, IT CAME ON ABOUT A MOUNTH AGO, I WOULD LIKE ANY INFORMATION YOU HAVE, I AM IN MY MID 50'S AM ACTIVE ,DRINK VERY LITTLE, HAVE R.A. AND HAVE TAKEN MED'S FR MANY YEARS,THANK YOU NANCY,
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease