Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Muscle and Joint pain

I am 26 yrs old and have been experiencing back pain for the last 2-3 yrs. It is located between my shoulder blades on the left side. About 9 months ago I also developed upper abdominal pain near the end of the breast bone. I have had a cat scan, ultra-sound, endoscopy and a chest x-ray to find the course of my abdominal pain. The only thing found was oesophagitis. I have tried numerous different medications for stomach acids and have modified my diet but the pain persists. 6 months ago was diagnosed with cat-scratch disease after a biopsy of enlarged lymph glands. About 4 months ago I had a CT scan of the thoracic spine which showed a prominent osteophytic ridge at the T7 level with a mild degree of cord impingement. About the same time I also developed pain in my lower back and hips. A bone scan showed prominent uptake in the sacroiliac joints. I have seen numerous doctors, a gastroentrologist and a reumatologist, but I am still getting no answers or help for my pain. My main concern is my lower back and hip pain. Any ideas?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If you are also a victim of MVP (mitral valve prolapse), I have a suggestion. Please respond if interested.
Helpful - 0
Dear David:

It is difficult to get a great look at the spinal cord using the CT scan, so this might be an overcall concerning cord impingement.  We use the MRI (much better at viewing the spinal cord and canal).  The cord impingement (if real) might be causing the back pain.  Usually, the impingement must be more severe before inducing symptoms but one can see pain from a mild impingement.  An osteophytic ridge might induce some neuropathic pain but it would depend on where it was located, since most are one sided the pain would localize to one side of your body, and from your posting it is symmetric in location.  The bone scan showing uptake in the SI joints would suggest some sort of degenerative disease/inflammatory entity/etc.  I am not sure what to make of it without further knowledge.  What all this together is sounding like is a systemic disorder such as an autoimmune entity or degenerative disease like arthritis.  However, the overall lab workup should have shown some abnormalities such as a high sedimentation rate.  So, I am sorry to say that I am not sure what is going on.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease