Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What is this?

A couple of months ago I had a seizure, and ever since then, my head hasn't been the same. I have these strange occurences approximately 1-3 times a week. This week, I didn't have it at all. It's a type of feeling when you cover your ears, which makes the room sound hollow, and all the voices in the room sound loud and jumbled. During this, I have difficulty hearing, and walking. The room becomes quite fuzzy. During the occurences, I used to be able to talk a bit, but now I am hardly able to. After the attacks, the words that come out of my mouth do not make sense. They are slured. I don't understand what I am having. Could I be having a Trensient Ischemic Attack? Could it be a sign of a stroke? I realize that I am very young, and I don't know if TIA or a stroke would apply to me. Could they be just Aura's? Or could they be psycological problems that resulted from the shock of having a seizure? Ever since the seizure occurence, I have been quite nervous, and very figity. I hope you can help me in solving my problem. Thank you in advance:)
42 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for the advice. I was already diagnosed with being possibly epileptic 1 month ago. I'm taking 400mg of tegretol a day. This is a very old post I made. I'm surprised I looked at it again. Anything else everybody?
Helpful - 0
I think you are all on the right track . Epilepsy is no joke. I think some people are afraid of the truth. This is my first night OL looking up tumors-brain disorders and so forth . First chance I've really had . Kids are finally in bed (LOL). My mother is epileptic and has a brain tumor that is 2.5inches in size. This is after 2 prior surgeries and looking at a third. A bit of advice to headproblemz  BE SAFE  NOT SORRY!!  My mother had a doc tell her that she had her tumor most all of her life if not from birth. It didn't present symptoms until the age of 15 at which time she started having headaches. A few years later she started having what she called episodes. My mother at the age of 27 diagnosed HERSELF as epileptic. She took her medical book to the dr and said this is what is going on with me . He said OK you are having seizures. She was on dialantin for a number of years which controlled the seizures for a time. At the age of 5 I awoke to the sound of what semed to be a cat gagging under the bed. Needless to say it was my mother whom I'd been sleeping with having a grand mal seizure. Talk about scared. You have no idea the impact you may have on other people someday.
Never having had a grand mal during her concious state she tried to wean herself off of her meds after her first surgery. Bingo-bango  guess what seizures are still there. My mother is now 49 and still having seizures and a growing brain tumor that just won't stay gone. Phsyco motor seizures are a part of her everyday life 4 or more and now is having new symptoms such as double-vision and foggy thinking and so forth. Please don't have that "IT CAN'T HAPPEN TO ME " attitude . It will do you no good . If you have a serious problem it is here to stay and needs to be daelt with..  Don't you watch TV?  People have been know to have seizures and kill themselves and others. Don't become a statistic!!!   GOOD LUCK WITH REALITY!!!
Helpful - 0
Hi Jan!  Yep, still reading...  ;o)  See my response to your question at the most recent thread.
Helpful - 0
jan
Hi Searching,
I hope you are still reading this thread.  Actually, I can't believe it is still active!!!  Anyway, I can't find the page for the epilepsy forum on braintalk, can you help me out plz?  Thanks a bunch. :o)
Helpful - 0
TKH
Hey, I wasn't trying to be smart in my last answer.  It was said with good intentions.  You are lucky.  At 18 I didn't discuss my problem with my parents and the night I had the grand mal, well both my parents were noticeably shaken.  When we got to the ER I couldn't remember anything that happened but was well aware of what was happening at present.  My concerns were more for my parents than myself.  I knew I was okay and really made light of the whole thing.  Truthfully, they probably needed a doctor worse than me.  I would try discussing my concerns with a doctor if I were you but in the mean time I'll tell you what a doctor/friend told me at 18 (Your getting ready to graduate high school and start college.  Lets not make an issue of this.  It might never happen again.  Put it behind you and concentrate on your future but if you have another one we'll need to run some tests.)  Don't remember his exact words but that's close.  Guess he meant I had alot of reasons to be nervous at this particular time in my life.  This particular doctor was a life long friend who past away soon after my visit.  Had I of followed up with him when my problem persisted I'm sure action would of been taken.  Again good luck.
Helpful - 0
Good answer, tkh.  :)
Helpful - 0
funny searching, very funny.
Helpful - 0
TKH
No, I don't know but it sounds like you've got a lot of support and medical help.  Best of luck to you.
Helpful - 0
I have told my parents everything. 3 people in my family alone are doctors. They're are sending me to only the best doctor's. I am not seeing an associate of the other. They really think that it is nothing for now. I am currently taking Xanax which I believe is an anti-seizure medication. I am not having any more episodes or attacks. But the reason I am taking Xanax if for the panic attack syndrome. But I can't get this feeling of unreality out of my head. Do you know how to make it go away?
Helpful - 0
TKH
Rember, everyones symptoms are different.  No 2 people are going to be alike.  The dreaming I can relate to, being on another planet I'm not sure I can identify with.  Here is the key you still have a problem and it's not under control.  See a 6th doctor, not an associate of the previous 5.  Spill your guts, tell him of the tests you've undergone, the diagnosis from the other doctors, and let him give you his opinion.  Whatever the problem it's not going to get better until you seek treatment.  For what it's worth, my aunt who was placed on seizure meds. never had an abnormal EEG.  They those to medicate her because of the reoccurance of the grand mals.  They may eventually try my sister on seizure meds again.  Not because her neuro tests are abnormal but if she continues to not responde to the meds for the panic attacks.  Like you, I believe their is possibly a link between the panic attacks and seizures.  The seizure meds. have controled the problem for me.  If you are still having problems, mention this to your doctor.  Seizure meds may be the answer.  Also, at 18 I was not comfortable discussing this with my parents.  When I finally spilled my guts, I choose to take my mother with me but let her wait in the waiting room.  At 18 you have a right to patient/doctor confidentiality (excuse spelling).
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the information:) I also had an EEG but mine came back normal. Other then that, the only other thing that worries me is this sense of unreality. This sense of unreality occurs almost 24 hours a day. It feels as if I'm dreaming everything and nothing is happening. It also feels that I shouldn't be on this planet, but somewhere else, as if there is something more. I know this may sound strange but it is actually very scary. Is this what happens when you have a sense of unreality?
Helpful - 0
TKH
I've never felt that these episodes were life threatening.  During the worst ones I sometimes feel faint but don't ever lose consciousness.  I lose touch with reality and am in a altered state of consciousness when it is happening.  That day at work I knew the lady was talking to me but I could not comprehend what was being said and it was difficult for me to speak.  When I did speak I wasn't sure of what I was even saying.  It does effect my senses, the worst being vision and hearing.  Touching, tasting, and smelling don't seem to be effected as bad.  The only long term side effect is memory.  Example:  My father took me and my sister to Louisiana for the Surgar Bowl several years ago.  I don't remember anything about it.  I look at the pictures we took and it scares me to think I traveled out of state, was apparently gone for a few days, and have no recollection of it.  Before I was diagnosed I was teased alot about my memory and tried to make myself believe that if I forgot something maybe it wasn't worth remembering to begin with.  Then I realized that some of the stuff, like that trip, I should of remembered.  Anyway, I've had 2 EEG's that were abnormal and since they started treating me for complex partial seizures these spells are under control.  I did have another grand mal last summer, by the way both of my grand mals have been in my sleep, and the nurse practioner at the neurologist's office said it was contributed to some over-the-counter allergy medication I had been taking.  It counter acted with the seizure medicine somehow.  Given the symptoms, the memory loss, the 2 grand mals, and the fact that the medication has controlled the seizures the diagnosis is probably accurate.  What I find interesting about your story and mine is this:  I have an older sister who has panic attacks.  I have a twin sister and an aunt who have seizures.  My older sister's medical tests for seizures were normal.  I believe they did tests on her heart and found she had micro valve prolapse.  The spells she has is a result of the micro valve prolapse and panic attacks.  My twin sister has had 4 or 5 grand mal seizures, all during sleep.  Her EEG was abnormal and she also takes medicine for seizures.  Our aunt has also had several grand mal seizures, all during sleep.  Several EEG's have been done on her, none have ever been abnormal.  It's weird and while I accept my diagnosis, I can't help but wonder if there is a connection between the seizures me, my twin sister, and our aunt have and the panic attacks my older sister has.  For what it's worth, my older sister has not been successfully treated for her panic attacks.  Her symptoms are very different than mine.  She has been taken to the ER several times for a suspected heart attack.  I think even the ER staff were convinced until tests proved otherwise.  Unlike you, she thinks she may be having seizures but all of her neuro. tests were normal; and, from what I've witnessed she is aware of everything and can carry on conversation during her spells.  She does hyperventalate during her spells, feels pain in her chest, and feels that she is dying.  I think they did try her on seizure meds. once but she had some side effects and discontinued the treatment.  It's really been interesting and helpful talking to you.  Don't know if I've been much help but good luck in finding out what exactly the problem is.
Helpful - 0
I still am unconvined, tkh, that you yourself have a seizure problem.

BTW: I was diagnosed with the following:

Anxiety Attack/Panic Attack

When I had the 1st Grand Mal, the doctor's believed I had a migraine which caused me to hyperventale, get confused, and caused myself to perform something similiar to a seizure. They still do not believe that I even had a seziure to begin with. They say I am so afraid that it will happen again, that I am causing these attacks on myself. I have been evaluated by a pediatric neurologist/pediatrician, a second pediatrician, a third pediatrician, and two heart surgeons. They all think I have nothing but what I stated above.

Let me explain the attacks that I have, maybe you still misunderstood what I said:

Suddenly, I have a strange feeling in my head. Then, all the noises seem to get louder and faster. Not cartoon style, but just louder and faster. It feels like my ears are blowing out air, if that makes sense. The room seems to get a bit fuzzy, then it ends. They range in form of inpact. Afterwards, I am a little shaky for around 1 hour becuase I'm afraid that it will happen again, and then I am fine. They believe I am causing this to occur on my own.

I also have other panic attacks where I can't breath well, I think I'm having a heart attack, a sense of unreality(VERY SCARY!), and thinking that I'm dying.

If you diagnose that as having a complex partial seizure please let me know. But from what I read and from what 5 doctor's tell me, those are not symptoms for a seizure.

Also, tkh, please explain to me your symptoms. I would like to hear what they feel like.
Helpful - 0
Has anyone seen this? Generally I am asymptomatic. 1st presentation age 14-15 while laying down experienced
inability to move arms and legs last 15-30 minutes.
Vision ok. Per ER MD stress reaction of some sort. Over teen years bouts of fatique some so severe lead to depression.
No meds given. In and out of MD's office kidney problems with  
recurrent infections upper respiratory infections. Severe ulcerative colitis. Bouts of weakness and numbness extremities
following all colds and infections. 5 years ago age 35 sob/
chest pain unknown etiology. EKG/ labs OK except elevated ANA
2 weeks later unable to move arms and legs/ unable to speak
10-30 minutes. To Er urinary retention. This episode left me
with lt sided paralyisis for 3months. I am left handed.
Following this episode few bad migraines/ increased weakness
with exercise. EKG/Chest xray/EMG/ ct head normal. Full recovery. Suspects lupus or MS. Both r/o by nueologists and rheumatology/ Lyme titer negative. Now age 42 here we go again but this time 3 episodes over 3 weeks of this paralysis stuff arms and legs,facial numbness, severe mid back and low back pain, unable to talk during episode or open eyes but I hear everything that is going on around me. 1 week sob prior to problem, viral infection 6 weeks ago. 1 day migraine following the episode. Labs Ok other than anemia. Plan at this time R/O seizures. Back to neurology r/o Atypical migraine. Repeat EEG. Does this sound like seizure activity? The leg and arm residual weakness seem puzzling if seizures are the problem? Any comments would be helpful.
Helpful - 0
TKH
Been reading your comments given to headproblemz.  I can relate to everything being said and understand where he's coming from.  I had a grand mal (convulsion) in 1985.  No diagnosis was ever made.  I continued to have spells but did not know what they were.  I to felt like I had control over them and they seemed harmless.  When I started having problems with my memory I consulted at least 2 general practioners.  One said it was panic attacks, the other really made no diagnosis but said it was not seizures since it had been so long since my grand mal.  In 1990 I had one at work.  I worked in public service and was waiting on someone when it happened.  I think the control that I usually had was threatened because I was placed in a situation where I was having to communicate with someone.  The spell was no worse than previous ones, its just there were witnesses.  I couldn't easily remove myself from the office and seek a quiet retreat until the spell passed.  The symptoms I have iinvolve the senses.  I can still see but things don't look right, I can still hear but things don't sound right, etc.  I'm still conscious and can continue simple things even while the spell is happening.  I've even had them when driving.  I really don't think the lady I was waiting on knew what was happening until I opened my mouth to speak.  Yes, I knew she was addressing me I just could not comprehend what she was saying.  When I spoke a co-worker happened to walk by and I said, "I'm sick can you wait on her".  At that point other co-workers were called and they walked me to our breakroom.  They made a big deal over something that happened to me all the time.  The following day I saw a doctor and spilled my guts.  I was more open and honest than ever before, not really caring if he thought I was crazy.  Want to know what he told me?  He said he didn't think there was any relation to these spells and the gran mal 5 years earlier.  No tests were done and he told me to come back if it happened again.  I had already told him this wasn't an isolated incident so what else could I do or say?  I left his office.  My mother and aunt were with me and when I cried on our way home my aunt urged me to see her doctor.  Her doctor was already treating her for seizures but they were different than mine.  I went to her doctor, a doctor of internal medicine, the next day.  She listened to my story and ordered tests.  When the EEG was administered I had no episode and assumed I'd past.  A few days later the doctor diagnosed me with seizures.  My seizures are successfully controlled by medication and I continue to lead a normal life.  I still work, am married now with 2 healthy kids, I still drive and do all the activities that I did prior to the diagnosis.  The point I'm trying to make is you already know there is a problem.  Whether it's seizures or not only a doctor can tell you for sure.  It would probably be in your best interest to see a doctor and if he/she gives you a clean bill of health, see another and another until you find your answer.  I was 18 when mine started and assumed when the doctors couldn't find anything, I was okay.  It wasn't until I found a doctor that sincerely took an interest in my wellbeing that a diagnosis was made and I began to educate myself about seizures.  I've learned that I never really controlled the seizures.  I could lessen the effects of them by relaxing my mind and body, by not resisting when I felt one coming on, and by not trying to control or understand the strange thoughts and feelings that consumed my body during a seizure.  This though is not really control, it just took me a long time to figure it out.  If your situation is similar to mine, know that being diagnosed with epilepsy does not necessarily mean giving up your independence or altering your lifestyle.  With me all it really meant was taking medicine regularly to control the seizures, no restrictions were ever placed on my driving, working, or extracurricular activities.  God Bless and Good Luck.
Helpful - 0
I came onto this site for something completely different but I read your question and all the following comments. It is very concerning to read your replies. I understand you are 18 and what you are going through must be very difficult. I too at a very young age went through a lot of medical issues ( started at 12 years old to be exact). It is not uncommon at a very young age, or any age for that matter to be in some degree of denial. I am not saying that you are, but it is not uncommon. The others had some very good adivice, I thought. It would not hurt to get the neuro eval and if you think that it is a psychological issue than maybe you would benefit from a psychological eval. It might help.
Sorry I couldn't not comment on this one. You are so young to have to deal with this. Good Luck!
Helpful - 0
Okay, I'm with KD here (I'm back, but soon to leave! LOL.)  I just wanted to ask you, Headproblemz:  

What is your question?  It appears that we're somehow misunderstanding your point, so what is it that you are needing to understand better about your episodes?  Are you asking us where you can go for help?  Or, if you truly CAN control your auras, etc., then are you asking us why you may be doing this?  Or, perhaps, what sort of professional to see?  

This feels like a set up to me.  Everyone is sincerely trying to help you get help -- whatever help you may be in need of.  In other words, I don't have some sort of warped desire to convince you that you're having seizures or strokes!  We were all just trying to answer the questions that you presented us with.

I give up!  Good luck!  

Helpful - 0
I believe you misuderstood me. I CAN control when the aura will occur. Once it occurs, I can't control it. However, if I feel it coming, I CAN stop it. If I don't want the aura to occur, it WON'T occur. That is what I meant. That is what makes my symptoms different from yours. I CAN control what will happen to me.`
Helpful - 0
I give up, I'm back but will be gone after this.
Headproblemz,
Yow wrote with a problem and the doctor answered it.  In that section, you said you had a seizure but were concerned about these speech things that came with it.  
Doc says get it checked out.  
Some of us who have experienced similar things tried to give you some support and additional information.  
The thing is, in my opinion, you do not want it.  You want to convince yourself that you can control these things.  Well, you CANNOT control a TIA or a stroke.  A TIA may only be seconds long.  IF your speech difficulty was a TIA, you may have seemed like you could control it because it was short.  That doesn't mean it was something within your control.  It was just short. You were lucky.
If you have had a grand mal seizure, it doesn't mean you can't have other kinds of seizures.  My 3rd stroke was diagnosed after the seizure activity that resulted from it.  Sometimes vascular incidents and neural impulse incidents coincide.
I repeat, I think you are playing with fire.  But, maybe not.  You are the one who has to live her life.  
I hope you have a good one.
Helpful - 0
Headproblemz... um..  

You're the one who posted the question, so I would assume that (at some level) you feel it is worth discussing.  All I have to say is that whatever it is that you're experiencing, KD is right:  you're playing with fire if you let seizures go unmedicated.  

I was misdiagnosed for years as my symptoms being "psychologically based."  Like you, I was only 18 at the time and ended up in a psyche ward, being given strong meds which only made me worse since the real problems (seizures) was not being addressed.  (There are many antipsychotic, antidepressants, etc. which can actually lower the seizure threshold, so in an attempt to treat me for my supposed "mental health issue" they were making me sicker and sicker, thus resulting in me getting MORE meds for "mental illness," making me even sicker!  A viscious cycle.)

Anyway, whatever you condition may be, it will not get better on it's own, and most likley will get worse.  So, take it from someone who lost most of her late teen years and most of her twenties due to a misdiagnosis:  Don't let it happen to you!  When you hit 30 - and beyond - you'll be mourning the loss of those years.  

Good luck......
Helpful - 0
P.S.  Hi KD!  I recognize you from MGH.  ;o)  (I'd rather not say what my nickname is there, but "hi" to you, just the same.)
Helpful - 0
I only had one Grand Mal Seizure. Everyone is different. If you have a seizure, there is a 70% chance you'll never get one again in your life. These little episodes I'm having can very well be psycological because of the shock I had in getting a seizure for the first time. This is very likely the case. Unlike most of you, I can control these attacks. I was only unable to control it once. On 3 of these "attack" occasions, my voice was slured and I was unable to speak properly for around 10-15 seconds. I really do not believe that that is a sign of me having a seizure.
Helpful - 0
I only had one Grand Mal Seizure. Everyone is different. If you have a seizure, there is a 70% chance you'll never get one again in your life. These little episodes I'm having can very well be psycological because of the shock I had in getting a seizure for the first time. This is very likely the case. Unlike most of you, I can control these attacks. I was only unable to control it once. On 3 of these "attack" occasions, my voice was slured and I was unable to speak properly for around 10-15 seconds. I really do not believe that that is a sign of me having a seizure.
Helpful - 0
okey dokey ...just realize that you are playing with fire if you are having seizures and don't medicate them; if you are saying words that don't make sense or not understanding words and don't investigate it further; or if you have multiple seizure episodes in a row.
I wouldn't make an issue of it but I've, as they say, been there, done that and the outcome has not been good.
Hope you don't have any more events.
Have a healthier day!  :)
Over and out.
kd
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease