Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

hip popping, left lower back pain.

I am a 21 year old male, I started having low back pain, specially concentrated on my left side after a night of dancing around 9 months ago, I went to the doctor and he prescribed physical therapy, and I've been doing my stretches and they help sometimes. I have had x-rays done with no sign of spine damage, However a few months ago I started to have my left hip pop constantly as i stand up or stretch. it does not hurt. I was wondering the reason of why it might be doing this? I have also tried massages and chiropractic help for my pain with no happy results. My back is specially sore in the mornings. I do sleep with a pillow in between my legs or under my knees. The pain does not radiate to my foot or so. is this possible just a sign of very tight muscles? would stretching 3 times a day actually relive this symptom? i have stopped working out and doing any strainious physical activities for the time being, but i am hoping i want to be able to resume a very active lifestyle soon.

also my md prescribed a combo of pain killers/relaxers/anti-imflmmatories and none of them really help ease the pain.

thanks for all the help.

Carlos
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
1378572 tn?1278985354
A related discussion, 6 year old with poping hips was started.
Helpful - 0
hey yall, im turning 17 this thursday and i am already popping everywhere, i hate it! it doesnt hurt so much but its not a pretty sound. my hips pop several times a day, and if i go about an hour without popping them, they start to feel like they need to be popped, its hard to explain, it started when i was 14 or so. also, my back pops all down the spine, you can actually hear the popping spread down the spine, like fire crackers. my knees pop too but i think thats just from soccer, they dont pop as much though, also my jaw pops, when i go running, it gets stuck in place and i have to pop it several times to get it back to normal, and when i wake up in the mornings, its stuck and i cant eat until its back to normal. i know thats probably too much information but why am i popping so much? i dont eat meat and i know i have scoliosis, and my shoulders and crooked, ones higher than the other, ive been to a doctor but he didnt suggest anything. im a big hypochondriac (sp?) and i really want to have an x-ray to see if im dying...whats the difference between a cat scan, an x-ray, and an mri? well i want all of them. well i think im done...thank goodness...well thanks for all ur help
-mallari
Helpful - 0
Hope you check for this message, I just found your question.  Your pain sounds very familiar to me.  I vote for SI joint dysfunction.  I have been suffering from this for a few years.  I have had 2 lumbar fusions (successful ones!) but the two do not necessarily go hand in hand.  My hip pops, especially when I walk up an incline, I have groin pain, hip pain and lots of back pain when suffering from this. The pain is pretty comparable to what I experienced with my ruptured discs before the surgeries.  Good news, there is an easy fix.  Find yourself a good physical therapist that is experienced with SI dysfunction.  I have to go every so often for an adjustment, takes about 20 minutes and then I am on my way.  Instant relief.  Don't let it go for too long because it will just get worse and worse.  You will also need to start doing exercises to strengthen the ligaments that support the SI joint.  Good luck!!
Check out this website:  allaboutbackpain.com
They have a very informative section on Sacroiliac joint dysfunction.
Helpful - 0
Hi David and thank you for posting. I am sorry to hear what you're going through, I know how you feel. Let me ask you...what type of treatments have you gone through, and were any of them effective? Do you feel a difference in the pain between mornings and nights? Why I ask, is because I rarely feel any pain at night, except if I seat on a bad chair, of course.

X-rays were taken, and showed no sign of spine problems, same with the left hip. however i never got a cat scan.

are you still as active as you were before even with the pain? does your hip still pop?

Have a good day,

Carlos
Helpful - 0
The primary problem sounds more musculoskeletal rather than neurologic. However, in a young man with hip joint problems and back pain, there are a few things to consider such as sacroiliac (located at the hip) joint disease that could be inflamed. Consider getting hip films to make sure the joint looks ok, possibly some blood work and a formal general examination. As for the lower back pain, it could be early degenerative disc disease or somehow related to the hip problem. Again, talk to your doctor about a thorough investigation with MRI or seek a second opinion. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
I'm sorry to hear of your situation.  I also have been dealing with lower back pain for roughly seven years now.  All my life I have been energetic, athletic and even hyper active to a degree.  I also served three years as an infantryman in the Army for the action and adventure.  That was then, this is now.  I am now 27 years old and cannot go one day without the burden of pain.  I have been diagnosed with spondylosis in my lower back.  I have been told that some people can go their whole lives with this and never have a problem but for some it can be excrutiating.  What attracted me to your situation was the popping hip and left lower back pain.  That is exactly where my problem began when I was 20 in basic training.  I don't want to jump the gun or cause you worry by my story so please take this objectively.  For seven years my condition has deteriorated.  Because of the pain everything in life revolves around my back.  Long car rides are a problem, standing in one place too long, sitting in one position etc.  I find it hard to smile everyday and my mood has seriously been affected.  It is not my intention to scare you.  Find the problem ASAP!  Doctors can easily miss spondylo's.  CAT scans are said to be best.  Good luck and write if you have any other questions.  
David
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease