Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Lack of sweat while excercising normal?

I am a 35 year old white male, 170lbs, with a family history of high chloresterol.  I work out 3-4 times a week/cardio for 30 min's and recently noticed after the work out I have not sweated or sweated very little, while others my age & weight are sweating profusely.  This is not a recent change, as a teenager I could play 3 sets of tennis and not break a sweat.  My concern is my chloresterol (LDL) is on the rise rapidly (increased 20 points this year).  The only time I can really sweat normally is when it's over 80 degrees outside and I am working in the heat for >1 hrs. I am wondering if sweating is a sign that I am not working out hard enough or long enough to control my chloresterol problem (I am also on a fairly low fat diet & take no medications,). By the way my chloresterol is: total=229, HDL=45, LDL=140. I have seen my family doctor annually for 15 years to monitor my chloresterol levels.  The only time my chloresterol ever came down was during a two year period several years ago when I was running (& sweating) regulary.  Unfortunately, I can not run now due to foot injury so I do non-foot impact things like the bike, stair climber, etc. My first question is: why do some people sweat just getting out of their car and I have to work so hard at it?   My other question is: Is there any information or medical evidence that you are aware of that would indicate any correlation between sweating and chloresterol?  Also, what recommendations would you make for me, personally, regarding changing my diet or exercise program?  Thanks!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Child with anhidrosis was started.
Helpful - 0
Interesting.........I do not sweat either. I used to work in a health and fitness club where we had free use of all the facilities. I used to have a sauna every week and never did sweat so they nick named me reptile.
I did read someone recently relating Acetylcholine levels and sweating or rather not sweating???
Do you have any muscle weakness????????????
Helpful - 0
Did an extensive medical literature search, and could not find anything regarding cholesterol and perspiration. Everyone is different, someone people just don't sweat at much as others.  As long as you're in good health, and have no personal or family history of autonomic problems (abnormal heart rate, blood pressure response to positional changes, digestive problems, abnormal tearing and salivation, impotence, etc...) then it's ok if you don't sweat after exercise.  Now if those symptoms are a part of your life, then there may be an autonomic system problem present, otherwise I think you're fine.

In terms of exercise, you should use heart rate to guide you rather than extent of sweating.  One simple is guide is to subtract your age from 220, which would be 185 in your case and use that as your maximal heart rate during exercise. If you're just starting, get up only t0 about 60% of that and then work up to 85% maximum heart rate. As for diet, use common sense and eat a balanced diet with more fresh fruits and vegetables. Stay away from fried and fast foods. Soy products (soy milk and tofu) as well as fish oil can also be helpful.  Talk to your PCP about your cholesterol as medication to help lower your cholesterol and LDL may also be considered. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
You didn't mention your height. I don't really think that your not sweating is related to your cholesterol. Do you eat a lot of salt,  Do you drink enough water  My thoughts are that there might be something wrong with your internal thermostat. Have you had your thyroid checked When you exercise and don't sweat, do you get overheated, red faced can't get rid of the heat Are you cold a lot What is your resting heart rate I've always had trouble sweating when exercising as well and I have Grave's disease - a thyroid disorder.
Helpful - 0
if your not going to the restroom every couple hours, or sweating during exercise then you could be dehydrated, drink lots of water.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease