Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pick's Disease

My mother has just pasted away.
I have been told that she might have had Picks diease.
I have told that there is no treatment or cure for this diease.
If indeed she had Picks which can only be found out by an autopsy
can this diease be passed from generation to generation???
I was hoping to reach Dr. Skidmore on this matter.
I'm a friend of his fathers from Roscoe.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Dementia was started.
Helpful - 0
ljk
Hi

My mother was recently dx w Picks Disease and from what I have read about the difference between that disease and Alzheimers, this dx seems to be spot on.

I have been dx in the past w depression, but more recently w soft bipolar disorder, after a mixed manic episode that may have been triggered by the ssri I was taking.

I have been told that mixed manic episodes, can lead to a "kinlding" effect on the brain.

Looking back, I realise that my mother was bipolar to some extent as well but never was dx or treated for it.

Is there anything in the literature that speaks to the possibility that the kindling effect and its resultant undermining of the brain and immune system, have a link to the emergence of Picks Disease?

Thanks

LJK
Helpful - 0
My Grandfathers 2 sisters were said to have die of Picks Disease. My grandfather shows some of the signs rude, impatient, gets aggressive, becomes withdrawn,reduction to speech, mumbles, but he is starving himself not over eating. Its not all the time.  We have good moments and real bad ones.The only thing that is constant is he is starving himself. What are the chances that my Grandfather has Picks also.
Helpful - 0
A small proportion of Pick's disease cases can be familial and passed from generation to generation. However the majority of these disorders are isolated. There are no commercially available tests to see if it is familial. I will pass your greetings along to Dr. Skidmore. Good luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease