Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pregnancy

I was diagnosed with PTC 2 years ago.  I was 240lbs and have since gotten down to 165 lbs.  I have had no symptoms at all since the initial hospitalization and I was on Diamox for only 2 months after that admission.   I was taking Methotrexate for one year prior to the PTC symptoms  ( for arthritis) and was about 2 weeks off of this medicine when the sudden headache hit me.  I had an LP and suffered for 2 weeks with a post LP headache.  Then everything got better, no more problems.
My question:  I have just found out that I am  6 weeks pregnant.  I have 3 children already ( ages 15, 9, 7).  I am worried about this condition coming back while I am pregnant.  I can't seem to find answers regarding PTC and pregnancy.  My neurologist told me that as long as I lost weight and didn't take the methotrexate again, that this should never come back.  Is that true?  I am not sure if I should risk "re-activating" this condition or going blind and I am considering terminating the pregnancy.  I would like to make an informed decision, so please give me any information that you have.  thanks.
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
While PTC can recur in pregnancy, a recent expert review on PTC in pregnancy stated "The prognosis for PTC in pregnancy is excellent for mother and baby" and "There is no contraindication to pregnancy in women with PTC and most patients can be managed with minimal intervention"

with your successful management of PTC so far it is unlikelyyou will have problems in pregnancy as long as you are followed by your neurologist
even if visual problems do occur they can be managed

PTC should not be a reason to terminate a pregnancy

Evans RW, Friedman DI. The management of PSeudotumor Cerebri during pregnancy. Headache 2000;40:495-497
Helpful - 1
Thank you all for your info regarding my question.  Sandy, I appreciate you sharing your story.  I never thought that I would be faced with the decision to abort a pregnancy either. It has been agonizing for me and for my husband.  I have several medical problems in addition to the PTC that are serious and I have been warned by two of my doctors not to attempt another pregnancy ( and by the way, I was told by my OBGYN that I could not get pregnant again but I did, even using protection- imagine that).  There doesn't seem to be alot of information about PTC and pregnancy out there and I couldn't get my Nuero doctor to call me back to talk about it.  I ended up starting to miscarry last week and went in to get an ultrasound.  The doctor said that it wouldn't be a viable pregnancy and that I needed a D&C.  He said that it was probably genetic or maybe my health that caused the baby to stop forming.  It has been a terrible experience but I am recovering well.  Thanks again to everyone.
Helpful - 0
I didnt believe in abortion either until, after "protected" sex, I was pregnant with my second child. My husband and I had an autistic 1st child and she suffers horribly. We were told we had a 50/50 chance of having another autisitc child. In addition I am ill with Autoimmune disease. It was a horrible scary struggle. I was so fearful, to subject another child to the type of life my first child has. She is 15 and I can honestly say she has never has a day of peace or happiness. She requires medication and constant one on one. She is a tormented person. I feel sorry for her that she will never experiance happiness. In the end we went through with the pregnancy and my 2nd baby was a normal healthy child. Please dont judge the other person until you have walked in his or her shoes, these decisions are so hard.
Helpful - 0
63754 tn?1290963380
PTC is psuedo tumor cerebri

Would someone have Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction who had that?  I wonder because tumors of every kind are what 2-butoxyethanol can do.  And it is primarily an autoimmune immune system that goes on from there to many parts of the body www.valdezlink.com/acute.htm

Then, too, it is a teratogen, and people can get it as a late-occuring 'birth defect' from a parent harmed by the chemical

This chemical has been around for multiple generations ... since about 1930 ... so it affects many, many people
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your defending support.
Helpful - 0
What is PTC?
Helpful - 0
Even mentioning that your thinking about murdering an innocent baby because of your own irresponsibility is disgusting.  If you were worried about your condition flaring up you should of taken the appropriate precautions against getting pregnant.
Helpful - 0
WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE HER? LEAVE THAT TO GOD! AND KEEP YOUR NEGATIVE COMMENTS TO YOURSELF. NO ONE ASKED YOU FOR YOUR OPINION!!!!! VENT YOUR ANGER SOME WHERE OTHER THAN A SITE THAT PEOPLE ARE ASKING FOR HEALTH INFORMATION. GRRRRRRRRRRR! HOW PATHETIC!
Helpful - 0
PTC is psuedo tumor cerebri. The fluid around your brain does not drain/ or over produces which causes severe headaches, possible blindness, and could require surgery to put a shunt in your head to drain the fluid.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease