Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

concerned about headache

For about six weeks, I have been feeling intermittent pain on the left top side of my head and sometimes down towards my left temple.  The pain is moderate, not severe, but uncomfortable.  Some days I feel the pain just a few times off and on through the day, others days more regularly throughout the day.  I saw my family doctor a few weeks ago.  He said he thought I was having nerve pain (neuralgia) and put me on amitriptyline.  I have still been experiencing the pain since being on the medicine and over the past couple of days it seems worse; this morning I woke up about 5:00 a.m. feeling the pain and have been feeling it off and on all morning.  I am scheduled to see my doctor for a follow up this Wed.  I am concerned because I have never had headaches before and have read that new headaches or one-sided headaches can signal underlying diseases (e.g. brain tumor) and should be evaluated with neuroimaging.  Should I ask for a CT or MRI?  Could these headaches be a sign of something seriously wrong?  I am a 38 year old female.
28 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am like most of you...physically active, otherwise healthy 37 year old female with "pains in my head", burning sensation on scalp and lightheadedness that have no cause.   At times, I feel very irritable when I have an episode or spell as I refer to them.  I have had these symptoms for a few years that come and go. On a side note, I had Bells Palsy (right side of face was affected and lasted 2 months) when my son was born in 2001 but I fully recovered.  Sometimes the stabbing pains are all over and other times on the right side of my head, near my ear.  The first doc I was evaluated by in 2003 listened to my symptoms and gave me a depression test (no kidding!) as well as took blood samples...results were normal.  I switched to another doc in 2004 who put me on sulindac (anti-inflam) and said to "wait and see."  I have been enduring these episodes over the last year and am getting sick and tired of it.  I go to the dentist in two weeks and will ask about TMJ/TMD because I have read that symptoms are very similar.  I also experience a burning sensation in my neck, probably due to working on computer and phones for many years.  I'm thinking my next step is a chiro or accupuncture doc because the head pain/burning/lightheadedness could be byproducts of a pinched nerve in my neck/shoulders.  The symptoms are somewhat relieved when I exercise and reduce stress but almost always return.  I'll let you know what the dentist tells me.
Helpful - 0
Some similiar problems.  Left temple headaches every morning for about 2 months.  A doctor(ENT) told me it could be Bruxism.
Teeth grinding at night.  More tests to follow. Hope it could help some of you.
Helpful - 0
I have such exciting news to tell all of you migraine sufferers.  And not only migraine pain, but all sorts of pain and illnesses.  I personally know a gentleman that is selling Xango Mangosteen Juice. He also has a website, which is www.countrythings.net.  You can click onto the link about the drink, to learn about it. His name is Ron Peterman (1-330-830-6704)in Ohio. He will order it for you, to get credit in his name.

His wife was a migraine sufferer for 16 years. Tried everything.  5 weeks ago, she started drinking this juice 3 times a day.  No migraines.  I am not kidding.  I know it's hard to believe a person that you don't even know..........but you have to trust me on this.

I just ordered some for myself----today.  It is expensive, but I am presently paying for Botox injections (out of pocket), so if this works, and it also good for the cells in my body, I may be stopping the Botox one of these days.

I pray for all of you who are in pain, because I am there with you, and have tried it all.

Please don't buy imitations of this product. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to get consumers to buy it from them (cheaper), and it is not the purest, or the exact same.  Call Ron for more information, and it might be your miracle you've been waiting for.

I know I should have waited until I tried it myself before I wrote this post, but I thought of all of you that are in pain right now, and I had to share it.

Good luck. I truly mean that.
Helpful - 0
What did the doctor say about the pain.
Helpful - 0
I am 28 and have recently had some severe stricking pains in the left side of my head.  After the severity they stay at a dull aching.  I am going to the dr today.  The pain is in my temple area and then aches about 2 inches above there.  Any ideas or suggestions?
Helpful - 0
can you get TN only in your head or does it have to affect your facial area.
Helpful - 0
Ive seen 4 different doctors over the last 3 weeks and none of them think I need a ct scan or MRI. My pain is getting worse and Its become more of a burning feeling than anything. The doctors are convinced thats its trigeminal neuralgia. I am now on 25mg of amitriptyline. So far I feel no relief. Im glad to hear that your MRI came back okay (wvmom). The doctor I saw yesterday said if theres no change by tuesday, one week from now he will refer me to a neurologist. So I guess I still sit and wait.
Helpful - 0
I saw my doctor on Wednesday and my MRI was completely normal.  My headaches have been far less frequent since I have been taking the 25mg of amatriptyline.  My doctor has scheduled me to see a neurologist, as he is not really sure what is causing my headaches.  But since the MRI was normal, then he knows that there is no serious underlying cause.  This is a relief.  Hope the rest of you are getting some relief from your headaches.
Helpful - 0
I was wondering it TN only appears on the facial area or can it
be associated with the pain I feel on top of my head.  My pain is only on one side and I do not have any migraine auras or anything like that.  Sleep also seems to be the only relief and my pain also increases as the day goes on.  If I get stressed out it gets worse.
Helpful - 0
FYI: Trigeminal Neuralgia is often misdiagnosed as a tooth problem (needing root canal, etc) or TMJ. It can feel like a toothache or soare jaw joint in the beginning, but as the pain progresses, it changes. TN is much more rare than TMJ or dental problems (statistics suggest 1 in 25,000 according to TNA research). Let me know if you have questions, i have studied this for 3 years.
Helpful - 0
I was wondering if the amitriptyline was helping you.
Helpful - 0
I was so happy to find someone who had the same pain as me.  I also get a pain in the upper right side of my head that feels like a pulse or jolt.  I have had this pain for over a year and was also diagnosed with tmj after having a molar and wisdom tooth removed.  I do not believe that this specific pain in my head is due to tmj.  It is like a nerve pain, a toothache in my head.  It comes and goes and when I touch the area on my head it is really sore and sensitive.  I can't even touch it sometimes it hurts so bad.  I was curious how the medication was doing for you because I am also extremely stressed out.
Helpful - 0
My pain/headaches become much worse when my body is tired. Usually the pain is less intense upon waking and becomes more severe as the day progresses. I do not wake from my sleep with pain and sleep is the only time that i do not hurt at all. My pain tends to be severe after physical activity or the day after i participated in physical activity for an extended period of time (1-2 hours).
Migraines are linked with experiencing pain from bending over and tend to be unilateral.
If the pain is disrupting your life and you aren't finding any relief on your own, you may want to express your concerns to your doctor. Try not to worry too much; worry, stress, and emotional upset may contribute to an increase in migraine and/or TN pain occurrances.
Helpful - 0
Hello all. A lot of this sounds very familiar to me, but i don't want to jump to any conclusions. I also experience similar pain. It is often burning, throbbing pain throughout the left side of my face and head. It moves around. It gets really bad near my left eye and temple area. I do not have any underlying tumors or anything. All x-Rays, Scans, and Bloodwork are normal. I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia (nerve pain)about 3 years ago. It took 5 years to figure out the diagnosis. My pain is often barely tolerable. It is not moderate pain. I am in pain a great deal of the time. I'm only 28 years old. Once diagnosed, my doctor immediately prescribed 10mg of Amitriptyline for me as well. I think this is a starting place (especially for the more constant burning, throbbing pain). I do not take this now but i don't want to talk about my experience with the medication until you have a chance to try it for yourselves. Trigeminal Neuralgia is a progressive nerve disorder characterized by unilateral pain, where the pain becomes worse over time and the periods of remission gradually become shorter. However it is not fatal and there are many medical and surgical treatment options available. I hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
I am having the same problem.  Often if I am straining or even just bending over and rising too quickly, I feel a sharp jolt of pressure at my left temple. I also have sense of pressure at the left side, back of the head.  Doing anything strenuous while having this headache just causes it to get worse.  I have not been to a doctor yet and am not sure what the cause is.  This is really worrying me but I don't want to overreact.  It often gets worse at night.  Please let me know what you think.
Helpful - 0
After three calls to my doctor's office today to check on my MRI results (they told me they had them but the doctor hadn't looked at them yet), I finally got the nurse to tell me that she looked at the results and everything looked fine to her.  She said the doctor will go over it with me in more detail at my appointment next week.  This is a relief.  I'll post more info. after my doctor's appt, which is not scheduled until next Wed.
Helpful - 0
Maybe Eagle Syndrom, characterized by an elongated or calcified stylohyoid ligament or styloid process.  This can usually be detected in a simple panaromic x-ray taken by a dentist.  Your dentist or physician may not be familiar with Eagle Syndrome. This is rarely diagnosed properly.  It is not life-threatening.  It has been seen more commonly in people who have had their tonsils removed or people who spend alot of time with their head bent to one side (violinists, people who work on the telephone, even radio djs).

The treatment is simple nsaids.  There is a surgical proceedure to relieve pain in extreme cases.  

Do your research and see if this could be your problem.

Good Luck.
Helpful - 0
wvmom. I am experiencing the same thing sorta. I'm 19 year old male in very good health. I'm planning on going to a neurologist in a few days. the pain I am getting is a quick jolt at times in the same area all the time. I also feel something different when I press on different areas of the left side of my skull. It's a sharp jolt of pain which goes away after I release the pressure. It has got me really damn worried. let me know what the MRI results turn up.
Helpful - 0
I saw a doctor yesterday and I was hoping he would make me an appointment for a catscan or MRI but he gave me a prescription for amitriptyline, 10mg, which i believe is the lowest dose. I was told to take only 1 before bed as it could make me drowsy and dizzy. He wants me to take it for 2 weeks and then go see him again. I also have to fast for 12 hours and go get blood work done. Does the amitriptyline seem to be working for you? Its hard for me to always see the same doctor because I just recently moved to Edmonton from Ontario so I dont have a family doctor yet and I have to keep going to walk in clinics.
Do you feel alot of pressure in your head? around your ear and temple area? The last few days I have felt so much pressure its been really uncomfortable. This is starting to really worry me especially because I let it go for so long wihtout getting it checked and Im young with such a young daughter! I just hope its nothing serious. Im looking forward to what your test results revealed. I'll make another post if I hear anything different as well.
Helpful - 0
My first dosage for amatriptyline was 10 mg; now I am taking 25 mg.  I take it before bed.  I haven't had any trouble with it.  I have been sleeping good, which I am sure is helped by the amatryptyline.  I told my doctor that the headache was really worrying me; I think that helped to persuade him to do an MRI.  I don't feel a lot of pressure in my head (my pain is just like a quick jolt or pulse of pain that comes and goes), and have to say that, surprisingly, I haven't felt the head pain now for five days.  I have had a twitch around my right eye for the past few days, however,which concerns me.  I will post when I hear about the MRI results.  I am not scheduled to return to my doctor until 6/8 but would hope they will notify me of test results prior to that (or I will certainly call to ask).
Helpful - 0
Amy - can you let me know what your doctor said?
Helpful - 0
This is really interesting.  I am a 28 yr old female from Iowa.  I have a generation of aneurysm in my family.  For about 6 weeks now I have been experiencing strong headaches.  Also on my left side, temple area going around the back of my head.  On the 24nd I woke up because I work nights and had a headache like I have never had before.  I decided to go to the ER.  They did a Cat Scan found an abnormal bulge in one of the arteries in my head.  On the 26th I was scheduled for an MRI.  I went in and had the MRI done.  They would not tell me anything there but let me look at the pictures.  There is definetely something there.  I see my family doctor today, on the 27th and he will tell me where to go from there.  I also experience other problems such as upset stomach, numbness on my head, fatigue.  To name a few.  I will know more today!
Helpful - 0
In reading your comment again Jamie, I do have the same problem sometimes.  A burning sensation.  Tingling, Numbness!
Helpful - 0
I saw my doctor on Wednesday and he has scheduled me for an MRI.  He also gave me a higher dosage of the amatriptyline. I actually have not felt the head pain now for a few days, but this was part of the pattern before (i.e. I might not feel it for a few days and then it comes back).  My MRI is scheduled for Tuesday morning.  I'll post after I get results.  I have not had any burning sensations; just the intermitten pulse or jab of pain.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease