Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Strange symptoms and ALS

About 8-9 months ago my right shoulder and neck became very stiff. I ignored it, thinking it was just bad sleeping position.
Then about 3-months ago, my right arm, hand, right leg and right thigh started to go numb and feel tingly. I went to see my neurologist who sent me to physical therapy. That did nothing.

About 2 months ago I first saw the "twitch". Now I get them sporadically almost everywhere on my body. They are not constant. I mean I may get 2 or 3 twitches somewhere and then none for the rest of the day, etc. I can feel them and not see them.

My right hand, right arm, right leg and right thigh now get tired very easily with the slightest amount of work. Is this "weakness"?

I have trouble remembering where I left things and why I even entered a room.

About one month ago I suffered a bout of severe laryngitis. I could not speak for about 3 days. Then it went away with just a sore throat that flares up every couple of days. I tend to bite my lip and tongue much more easily these days when speaking or eating.

My tongue looks very strange, with all kinds of grooves in it.

My neurologist ordered a cat scan of my spine and neck. These came back normal.  

Then I tripped. I was walking on uneven pavement and I just tripped headfirst.

My neurologist claims it's not ALS. He said he would know it from just seeing me walk and that my neurological exam was completely normal. I'm waiting to have an MRI of my brain now.

Do these symptoms sound like ALS or do other diseases have these same things?
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, What is wrong with me was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Diseases that mimic ALS was started.
Helpful - 0
suggest you look at post on 7/23/05 , bad balance ,etc.
Helpful - 0
First I would suggest you have your B12 levels checked although sometimes tests are not accurate. The tongue symptoms plus neuro symptoms indicate a possible b vitamin deficiency. Often B12 shots are required weekly for a period of 10 weeks or more.

Hubby had symptoms of mild dizziness and fatigue only.

Another possibility with muscle twitches or tremors is Lyme disease. Go to http://www.Lymenet.org and click on Flash Discussion and then Medical.

Best Wishes.
Helpful - 0
thank you for taking the time to answer me. Your opinion is very much appreciated.
Helpful - 0
Twtiches in the absence of objective muscle weakness and wasting is unlikely to be due to ALS. If your neuro exam is normal, it is unlikely that you have objective weakness.

Twtiches can (and more commonly) are benign or induced by cold exercise, pinched nerves, certain medication, or some rare viral diseases (ie polio). Widespread twtiches like you describe are more likely to be benign. It is possible you have a pinched nerve in teh neck accounting for the symptoms on the right side with easy fatigue - this could be evaluated with an MRI scan of the cervical spine. Your other symptoms do not suggest ASL either. You should see a neurologist and follow with him over if your symptoms persist.

Good luck
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease