Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

diziness from acetaminophen

When I take 1000mg acetaminophen for a headache, I get slightly dizzy and quite "spacey".
However, when I take Maximum Strength Pamprin for menustral-related headaches, I have no problems.  Pamprin contains (per dose) also 1000mg acetaminophen, with also 50mg pamabrom and 30mg pyrilamine maleate.
To me this does not seem logical, but it is how it is.  Is there a reasonable explanation for this?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Just wanted to acknowledge the doctor's comment about the overuse of Acetominophen which is the main ingredient in Tylenol. Last year a close friend didn't wake up. She was rushed to the hospital where she was lucky enough to recieve a donor liver within a few days which saved her life! She now suffers from mild rejection symptoms and is in and out of the hospital when the symptoms worsen. Her liver failed due to taking too much Tylenol for back pain. She is a nurse who is 40 years old and alomost lost her life. So please be careful. Just because it's an OTC drug doesn't mean it can't be harmful if mis-used. And like the doc said, can even take your life.
Helpful - 0
Its not clear why

Acetaminophen is thought to have some effect on local transmitter that mediate pain/sensations. An antihistamine like pyrilamine also works in a kind of similar fashion (on different transmitters). The two together may result in a slightly different effect/side effects that may explain the above. Other than that no other obvious explanation comes to mind. Be careful not to consume excessive acetminophen as in excess it can cause liver and kidney damage, and even death
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease