Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

MRI results

I was recently in a car accident and have had a constant headache and neck pain since.  I have had X-Rays, a CT scan, and most recently, a MRI.  The results of the MRI were normal, but it says that I have a perineural cyst at T2-3 that is 10x13 millimeters.  What is this?  I have tried to look up information on this, but everything I have found shows these in the low back area.  I would really just like a little information about what this cyst is and what problems it could cause.  Also, I have had my chiropracter look at the films from the tests, and he has said that I don't have the proper curvature in my spine, it is almost straight.  Is this something that I should be concerned about?  None of the other doctors have said anything about it.  Any information you could give me would be very helpful.  Thank you.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi,

What is echoplanar diffusion-weighted images.
What is acute ischemia?
What is echoplanar diffusion?  
What is punctate foci of chronic microvasular ischemia?
Helpful - 0
Perineural cysts or 'Tarlov' cysts are common in the general population and are usually an incidental finding on MRI (can occur anywhere in spine)

It is likely that your symptoms are a result of soft tissue/musckuloskeletal injury

Rarely they can cause problems if they are large (ie >15mm, such as nerve root compression (at T2/3 causing a band of paresthesia/numbness across the chest) or local bony erosion. Surgery is not indicated unless they are causing significant nerve root compression and are large. Surgey carries a significant risk or surgical nerve injury.

Loss of the normal curvature is a posture related response to neck/back pain, it is not a disease process in itself.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease