Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

ALS / EMG Questions

Hello Doctor! Thank you for answer my question. I am 29 y/o male very scared with the onset symptoms of ALS. Since last May I noticed fasciculation in my body. The first one was in my right leg during whole day. Following that until today I had widespread fasciculations that occured dayly but not frequently (sometimes in leg, neck, throat, abdomen, arms, back...). I went in 2 neurologists specialized in neuromuscular diseases . Both said me that I am healthy. The clinical exams were normal (reflexes, no weakness, no atrophy). I did 2 EMG
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am sorry very much your mother has Bulbar ALS.

But, why do you think I have Bulbar ALS ?

All the best for you.

Helpful - 0
my Mother has ALS, bulbar onset, and I understand how confusing this can be for anyone involved in this.

I am sorry you have this disease.

I would love to hear from others with bulbar onset ALS as to what to expect from Mom.

she was dx July 2004, PEG Dec 2004, limb onset Aug. 2005, possible lung problem onset Sept. 2005

I say possible because I am still trying to learn more about breathing problems & what to expect....

I wish you the best, & hope that you are taking the opportunity to get a great support system started now.
Helpful - 0
Rare fasciculation potentials on EMG may be entirely normal especially in the absence of fibs. All the other data suggest you do not have ALS, and you do not need further EMGs unless you developed objective weakness or muscle wasting.  

Atrophy and weakness when tested by a good neurologist are easily detectable.

I would try to get on with life!!

Good luck
Helpful - 0
I've read the post on 08/25/2005. Sorry, I know my post seems similar but my doubts are others. Best wishes !
Helpful - 0
95361 tn?1219870284
Well, since you insist this is a separate question, but it is so very similar to the one on 8-25, you could read the replies to the previous post.  They all apply here, too, including the doctor's comments.
Helpful - 0
95361 tn?1219870284
The doctor has already answered your questions in another post (Worried about ALS! by HELP on August 25, 2005).  As only two questions per day are allowed on this board, please refrain from asking duplicate questions, using a different name.  

Ramona
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease