Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pressure headaches with unusual feature

For years now I have suffered from daily, excruciating headaches that feel like crushing pressure as well as pain, mostly frontal, sometimes occipital as well.  Depending on which doctor I have seen they have been diagnosed as migraines, tension headaches, and chronic daily headaches -- not helpful.  Neither abortive nor long term medications have helped.  The one unusual feature that noone seems to be able to explain to me (I think when I mention it they just think I am crazy) is that I can obtain some relief if I am able to "crack" my neck.  Not complete relief by any means, but this consistently does seem to temporarily relieve some of the pressure.  Does this provide any clue to the nature of the headache or point in any treatment direction?  Thanks.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The neck is intimately involved in head pain and many of the meck structures and nerves can result in head pain

For this reason, a physical therapist specializing in the neck can be essential

Also, pinched nerves in the neck like occipital neuralgia can cause pain in the head - a nerve block can help

muscle spasm can cause refractory head painm and a selection of Botox injections for headache can be very beneficial

Hope this information is of some help to you

Good luck
Helpful - 0
Sounds like you should see a chiropractor-preferably one that specializes in chiropractic neurology.  Spinal manipulation can indeed help decrease the pain of some types of headaches such as cervicogenic, tension or migraine headaches.  Upper cervical joint dysfunction or myofascial triger points can cause or aggravate some types of headaches.  Your medical neurologist may not be aware of this.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
The last time I was having chronic head pain it turned out to be an intolerance to corn, which I consumed on a regular basis.  The pressure headaches could be your bodies way of telling you that it cannot tolerate something regularly in your diet.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease