Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Sudden, severe headache and continuing dull pain..

I have recently been experiencing very sudden and severe headaches (best described as the worst headaches of my life) localised in the back left area of my head, accompanied by disorientation and nausea. I visited my physician who immediately referred me to my local hospital as she was concerned about a subarachnoid bleed. The CT scan came back negative but the first set of lumbar puncture results came back with traces of blood in the CSF for the first set of samples but negative for the second set. As a precaution they kept me in for 48 hour observation before releasing me.

While I have not had many recurrences of the sudden severe headaches described above, I do have a continual
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A CT scan and spinal fluid analysis are sufficient for excluding a subarachnoid bleed. You do not mention if there was 'xanthochromia' in the CSF sample, an important thing to look for in exlcuding a bleed. Depending on your physicians suspicion, they could do a CT angiogram if one is available in your area to exclude an aneurysm. This is just a new generation of CT scan with som edye that is replacing invasive needle angiograms for aneurysms.

If you have risk factors for a blood clot like history or family history of blood clots, smoking, being on the oral contraceptive pill, they may need to exlude a venous clot in teh brain by doing an MR venogram.

New onset severe headache which persists (especially if you are over 40 years old) makes an argument for getting an MRI of the brain which provided much more detail than a CT (although generally not as good as CT for blood).

Good luck
Helpful - 0
It is possible to have traces of blood in your spinal tap.  Sometimes the doctor doing it can make an oops and cause you grief.  My son had such headaches and they lasted forever.  Check everything out like I did and later we found out it was lyme disease. Little did I know that headaches were the first sign of it for him.  His pain is on the left side of his head in the back.  Don't stop with the doctors until you get some answers, it takes time!

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease