Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

EXCRUCIATING HEADACHES FOR 5 YEARS

Following a Rhinoplasty operation in August 1997, I have been left with severe pain in my head and neck ever since. I suffer excruciating relentless headaches 24/7 in the frontal/vertex/temporal/occipital areas. HAVING UNDERGONE THE NOSE OPERATION TO CORRECT A DEVIATED NASAL SEPTUM, UNFORTUNATELY FOLLOWING A CT SCAN IT HAS STILL BEEN SHOWN TO BE MARKEDLY DEVIATED TO THE RIGHT. The scan also showed the lining and turbinates of my nose to be continually swollen. I have suffered chronic sinusitus for 10 years. However, the major problem is this:- There is persistent violent compressive pulling soreness within my skull. It hurts to do any physical activity whatsoever, and it also hurts when i lay in bed at night. In fact the pressure in my head together with the headaches immediately get violently severe as soon as i lay on a pillow no matter which side i lay on. The extreme soreness in my facial area ie. cheeks nose forehead is so severe 24/7 that it is also causing severe pain and pressure on the top ie.vertex and back of my head, which is constant, relentless and continuous 24 hours a day with no relief or abatement whatsoever. The pressure and aching emanate deep into the face and seem to be causing the crushing sensation on top of the head, and also the back area. This pain never relents, is continually excruciating, and is severely restricting my quality of life. I SAW THE ENT recently who said 1. Deviated nasal septum 2. persistent nasal inflammation , referred me to neurologist suggesting Neuralgia was pain source. But pressure in head is intolerable, beyond this. Help?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Sir
please try alternative therapies like acupuncture, reiki and YOGA
Helpful - 0
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.  The symptoms you describe are very atypical, but it sounds that you are in a lot of pain.  Some headaches such as migraines can become so severe that they occur all of the time (so called "Status Migrainosis").  These type of headaches generally require IV medications including DHE (Dihydroergotamine), Depakote, Magnesium, Benadryl and Kytril to stop these headaches.  It is hard to explain your pain by a headache syndrome alone (for example the only way to have 24/7 pain for 5 years is not to sleep for 5 years).  This type of history is often obtained when someone has severe pain that is then amplified by depression.  Depression makes pain much worse and the headaches WILL NOT get better until the depression is treated (even if you dont "feel depressed").  
  Your nasal inflammation may be triggering headaches, but also may be unrelated.
  I would recommend that you see a neurologist that specializes in headache and has an IV infusion suite available.  You will likely need 3-5 days of intensive IV medications (DHE protocol) to break the cycle of your headaches.  I would also start anti-depression medication to help with any possible amplification of your pain (Effexor or Lexapro would be a good choice). I hope this has been helpful.
Helpful - 0
I've been taking male enhancement pills for about 2 months that had ginkgo and other herbs, and i smoked marijuana during that second month, and after a couple days my right eye lid drooped and my right eye looked misaligned with my left eye ever since. i went to an ophtamologist twice and he said it was fine, but to me my right eye still looks a little inward. Is it possible that the drug and marijuana caused my eye to screw up?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease