Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Is there anything left to check for?

Hi can you please help.

Constant symptoms: For 3 years now without end I feel like I have a metal plate attached to my forehead under the skin..feels very rigid and stiff muscles. Sometimes my chewing muscles feel weak. In the same area I have this constant flood of pressure. Behind my nose, I feel pressure like I'm standing on my head and my turbinates are severely swolen but no sinus infection. I also have this perpetual state of light dizziness that's aggrivated when I move my eyes around. IF I LAY ON MY STOMACH, (put pressure on lower chest/upper abdomen or bend backwards the pressure in head increases severly!

Occasional symptoms: A tingling in my lumbar spine/penis area, passing burning/expanding pains in wrists or ankles (these occasional symptoms I could live with by themselves)

Here's the blood test I have 2 years ago: ana, apcr, at, anti dna, esr, ft4, factor viii, alt, bili total, ast, albumin, alk phos, protein, bili indirect, bili direct, hgba1c, lupus, lyme, pt20210m, protein c and s, sjogrens, tsh, b12.

Other tests: MRI, MRA, MRV (brain).  MRI c-spine w/o. Opthamologic exam.

"All tests normal except MRI shows cerebral tonsils at the level of forum magnum."

My doctors have refused further tests. Is there any blood tests that should be repeated, or any other tests..anything AT ALL no matter how remote that hasn't been looked at?

I have no insurance and can't get a real-world 2nd opinion, please please help! Any ideas at all?  

Doc, I have nightmares I am literally giving up hope you have to help me before I die from this head pressure
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.
    The symptoms that you describe are not specific for any single disorder.  I suspect that your symptoms are related to chronic daily headache (which can feel like a band of pressure around the head or pressure behing the forehead).  This condition is often difficult to treat, with some relief with medications, but often patients have lingering symptoms. It sounds like you have had adequate imaging studies. I would suggest stopping any over the counter medications (such as tyelnol/acetominophen, advil/ibprofen, etc) and start a trial of elavil/amitryptiline starting at 25 mg each night.  If this is not successful other drugs that should be tried include zanaflex/tizanidine, topamax/topirimate, wellbutrin and effexor.  
I hope this has been helpful.
Helpful - 0
Did a doctor explain the significance of cerebellar tonsils in the area of the foramen magnum?  It sounds like you have a problem with your Cerebral Spinal Fluid (CSF) flow, and may need a shunt. The foramen magnum is a large opening at the top of your spinal column, through which CSF is supposed to flow freely. Tonsils are lobes or flaps of excess tissue, and in this case they might be "clogging" the foramen magnum, causing excessive CSF pressure in the brain. Your symptoms fit this scenario perfectly. You will probably need to discuss your options with a neurosurgeon; this condition can usually be corrected with surgery that has relatively low risks.

Best of luck!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease