Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Am I ok

First of my Father and sister both died of brain aneurizums so when i had a headache for 2 weeks i was not impressed.  I went to my GP who ordered a STAT MRI i assume because of my family history.  The headache was on my left side only.

anyway on the impression on my MRI report is says

a proment virchow robin space suspected on the left near the left side of the anterior commisue (ok makes no sence to me but ok)

a 1.5 CM suspected choroid plexus cyst. (also left sided also don't understand what that is eather)

I then went to a Neurologist who asked about my headache 3 weeks later it's better not 24/7 pain just at night and sometimes mornings. He stands up says well sounds like your on the mend gets up to leave and i asked "ok what about the cyst thing goin on?" he then flipped back open my chart said "ahhh get another MRI in a year" while i'm fine with that cuz the headache is better i'm not real comphortable with him at this point and wondered if that's an ok time to wait to check the stabliity of both my issues. Which i'm not sure what chekcing the stablility of them even means. I also find it kinda weard that my headache was on the left side and all this yuckadoodle stuff is also on my left side but not the cause of it?  Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
jej
i am not a doctor but i would find a new neorologist..i have been there..they come in and say your spinal cord is .9 that means surgery and says make a follow up appt. in 3 months..and walks out leaving me confused and unsatesfied.There are great doctors out there.i have severe spinal stenosis and in 2 years they have not helped me ...so shop around..You are paying for the appt.write a list of what you want done and answered and do not settle for less.personally i would want to know exactly what is wrong considering your family history..both my daughters are R.N. and they tell me doctors think they can get away with this and others are great...do not settle for less...bless you jej
Helpful - 0
if i were you, i'd feel more comfortable being evaluated at the Mayo in Minnesota or the clevelnad clinic in cleveland. 2 of the best, if not THE 2 best, comprehensive clinics in the country.
Helpful - 0
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.      
    The symptoms that you describe are non-specific, and most likely represent migraine headaches, but I would suggest more testing.  A unilateral (one sided), pounding headache sometimes associated with photophobia (sensitivity to light), phonophobia (sensitivity to sound), exacerbation with movement and/or nausea/vomiting are the typical symptoms of a migraine headache (although many varients also exist).  The MRI findings that you describe are not concerning, but the critical sequences (the MRA [magnetic resonance angiogram-that looks at blood vessels] and gradient echo [that looks for blood]) were not mentioned.  A virchow robins space is the space around a blood vessel, a non-pathological finding.  The choroid plexus is the structure that make the spinal fluid inside the brain, and choroid plexus cysts are a benign finding of little consequence.  The most important thing for you is to determine if there is an aneurysm present (in amongst these non-specific findings).  I would suggest a CT angiogram (a better test for aneurysms then MRA).  I would also suggest an investigation for inherited causes of aneurysms such as polycystic kidney disease, Marfans syndrome, etc.  
I hope this has been helpful.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease