Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

vitamins don't work on me...im still skinny...

Im 24, 5'2" and only weighs 42kgs..im too skinny...i took several vitamins already since i was a kid and until now...iv switched to different kinds of multivitamins...iv also taken food supplements and other gain weight products...i know i eat a lot and i luv to eat juz anything...but i did not see any changes in my body..im still thin..i really want to gain weight...sometimes it gives me insecurities when people criticize me...please help me. is there somethng wrong with my body that blocks the effects of vitamins?..and what should i do to make these vitamins work?...is there a special diet for me? plss help me....tnx
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had been underweight for years and tried everything. 7 years ago I found out I had Celiac Disease.  This disorder  is an allergy to the protein gluten which is found in wheat, rye, barley and oats. These food products causes damage in the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients, so even though I was eating well, I always looked like I was malnourished.  Since I changed to a gluten free diet, I picked up over 20lbs and  looked better than I had for years. If this is something you havent checked out, its worth a try.
Helpful - 0
I’m no doctor, but I do plenty of research about various health topics every day as it is part of my full time job.

In my opinion vitamins are not your problem, the food you’re eating and your life style is more likely to blame than the vitamins. Let me explain.....

In order to gain weight a number of things must happen. For one, one must consume more energy than they exert or burn. If you are a very active person and have a naturally high metabolism then you will "burn" or use up energy in your body at a tremendous rate. So this could be part of your problem; you are not consuming enough carbohydrates to fuel your body, and it is in turn, "eating away at you" SO......you should increase you carbohydrate intake by eating more pasta, grains, oats, fruit, veggies, ect.. Go look up what foods are high in carbs if you want to know more.

Secondly, our bodies need protein to build muscle, among other things. If you are active, and work out on a regular basis, your protein intake should be high. The rule for body builders is Eat 1 gram of protein for every 1 kg of body weight every day. If you are active and work out regularly, this would be a good rule to follow.

Thirdly, and this goes hand in hand with everything and that is diet. I cannot stress how important it is to have a balanced diet. I will list a few important parts of a balanced diet.

-8 250ml glasses of pure water
-4-5 servings of fruit (1 banana, 2 apples, 4-5 strawberries, 20 grapes, and a grapefruit)
-4-5 servings of veggies (1 tomato, 1 carrot, 2 beats, 2 cups of cabbage, 1 large potato and a cup of peas and corn)
5-8 servings of grain/wheat/ect.. (1 bagel, 1 cup oatmeal with 1/4 cup of flax seed on top, 2 cups whole grain rice, 2 cups pasta, 1 bran muffin, and 2 pieces of multi grain bread.
3-4 servings meat (1 chicken boob, 1 piece red meat, 1 protein shake, and 1 piece of fresh fish(not tuna))
2-3 servings of dairy (1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese or regular cheese, and 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup yogurt)
Then you should make sure you take a good multi vitamin daily, and look into other health supplements and products such as garlic, st-johns wart, green tea, and acidophilus. There are 100's of natural herbs that have many health benefits, id suggest seeing a herbalist.

*NOTE:a serving of meat is about the size of your palm.

A TIP: I ALWAYS look at the label of what ever im eating to see if there is a good amount of vitamins, minerals, carbs, and protein. I don’t eat stuff that has very little of these things cause its not worth it. Examine the label, and make the decision. Don’t fill up on empty foods, its not worth your time or health.

If you followed that diet more or less, for 2 months, combine with cardio and weight training workouts twice a week, you would without a doubt put on weight.

I hope this helps. If you or anyone has any questions feel free to email me at ***@**** or visit <a href="http://www.online-health-source.info">online-health-source.info</a> or <a href="http://www.vitamin-spot.com">Vitamin-Spot.com</a> for more health information.
Helpful - 0
I don't really have much information concerning symptoms.

Unless you have sufferred some sort of injury which affects you digestive system, the only thing I can think which is preventing you from gaining weight is that you are eating olestra.

All I can say is that deficiency of the vitamin needed to absorb fat in the digestive system is EXTREMELY rare. The only recorded cases have been in scientific experiments on animals, fed nothing by food processed not to include vitamin k, which is present in practically everything you eat.

I suggest you eat lots of fruit and vegetables and take some exercise to improve upper body strength and go jogging.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Nutrition Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.