Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
200828 tn?1209917975

Natural alternatives for anxiety and depression??

I am suffering from anxiety and some depression. Don't wanna take drugs long term for fear of bad effects on the body and addiction.  

Anybody got any natural and effective alternatives?
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Go get em' Raine9. Your doin' fine.

Some only know the name Jesus when they are cursing, unforunately.  They don't know what they're missing...that's all I have to say.

TJ
Helpful - 0
200828 tn?1209917975
Oy vey!  And I'm not even Jewish.

Well, at least you guys helped me out a little with my depression.  Never expected that.  Glad I checked into the forum.   I appreciate all comments and suggestions.  

I tried St. John's wart, I felt absolutely no difference. I've tried therapy for a short time but after awhile, I could guess what my therapist was gonna tell me.  Exercise is a good suggestion. I used to work out all the time, pre-babies.  Unfortunately, I don't have much time anymore.  I take walks and it does make me feel better.  

I don't mind posts about religion.  A little faith goes a long way...  I read about a guy in the "Respiratory Disorders Forum"  The doc found a mass on his chest x-ray.  I told him that he is in my prayers and he thanked me.  It means a lot to some people.  

I think these forums help actually.  I like the anxiety forum.  Being able to read about other people's experiences and posting my comments is therapeutic.  Works better than talking to any shrink.

Peace to both of you and don't stop posting!  Debate adds spice to life.

Helpful - 0
"And for your info " natural" usually has no SCIENTIFIC studies done because they believe in creating things in a lab."

This is what I mean about incoherence. This sentence makes absolutely no sense. Who believes  in creating what??  The hell?  Jesus, get an editor. Do something - anything - to start making more sense.  Because nothing you write makes ANY sense. I've read many of the forums here, and I have to say that your posts are some of the most clueless that I've seen here. Downright embarrassing, really.

Herbal remedies are defined by the FDA  as dietary supplements, and they can be sold legally as long as they aren't labeled or accompanied by any therapeutic or health claims. Thus, herbal remedies can be labeled with descriptions of their role in affecting physiological structure or function, but must also be labeled with a disclaimer that the product has not been evaluated by the FDA for a cure, prevention, or treatment of a disease.

These supplements are not clinically tested because they are marketed differently. Since they are not marketed as "medications," but as food supplements, they don't have to undergo  the rigorous testing that pharmaceuticals must be put through.

And because these "herbal" remedies are not held to the same standards of purity and efficacy as medications, there are now many herbal therapies that may not contain any pharmacologically active ingredients or that may not be toxicologically safe because of their unstandardized ingredients. There is also tremendous variability of the same product between manufacturers, as well as from batch to batch.

So once again, "live4fitness," I'm not sure what the hell you were suggesting in your remarks, but I continue to stand by my original post:  There  are currently no natural remedies that are effective with anxiety and depression because the ones recommended for such symptoms have not been clinically tested, and for the reasons mentioned in the above paragraphs, except for St. John's wort, and in that case, it was noted to work for mild depression only.

And you were way off the mark on why these supplements are not clinically tested. Time to buy a clue, maybe??
Helpful - 0
O H I am so sorry I didn't relize we were in english class!!!!

And for your info " natural" usually has no SCIENTIFIC studies done because they believe in creating things in a lab.

But you know what I will not discusse things with you anymore b/c it is disrespectful to the "OP" as you put them. They want advise not to hear a KNOW it all JA as yourself
Helpful - 0
live4fitness, you might want to fix your spellchecker. Your posts are nearly incomprehensible.  

I actually recommended a "natural" remedy - that the OP get some physical exercise.  If she's talking about OTC preparations, I will repeat that the only one I am aware of that has some usefulness is St. John's wort for mild depression.  For more severe symptoms, there is nothing over-the-counter that is proven  to work.

Now, if you've got some clinical studies to share with us on natural remedies, by all means, let's see them, "live4fitness."  

I stand by my original recommendation here. BTW, you are not the only one who can "go to the admins." Bottom line? Everybody posting here "giving advice" is just an Internet bozo, and all advice can be ignored. My advice is no less helpful than yours. As a matter of fact, I would argue that mine is more helpful, because at least I can put two sentences together and I have  decent spelling skills. It seems completely lost on you that if somebody can't make sense out of a jumble of a few poorly connected  strings of misspellings and what amounts to a grammatical mess, they will be much less inclined to a) take you seriously; b) understand what "advice" you are trying to convey.

Comprende?
Helpful - 0
I guess you either have a hard reading or comprehending b/c the poster put that she wanted some natural remedies not drugs. I as well as anyone else could have put down go see your Dr for drugs, But let me warn you,I will complain about you if you keep this demening attatude up. People come here for advise not critasism.
Helpful - 0
"Some say magnessium (sic), some say your diet has a lot to do with it, St. johns wart (sic). Do some research on natural rememdies (sic). It really is trial and error. Good luck."

There have not been any clinical  studies to support magnesium being helpful in depression or anxiety symptoms. St. John's wort has  been studied, however, and found to be helpful with symptoms of *mild* depression only. If you are taking any other prescription medications, you need to check with your doctor to see if St. John's wort is appropriate for you to use. Keep in mind that it probably won't  help you if you are severely depressed.

There are currently no "natural remedies" that have been  clinically proven to assist with anxiety and depression.  Cognitive behavioral therapy has been shown to be quite effective with both types of symptoms, however.  Google the name of your city and "cognitive behavioral therapy" to find practitioners near you.  

Start by getting some regular exercise, even if it's just walking around your yard or your neighborhood. Anything will help. Talk to your doctor if you really feel you have severe  anxiety and depression and it is negatively impacting your life. There are medications you can use that don't have to be taken long-term, and especially for anxiety there are meds that can be taken on an as-needed basis and not used long-term.
Helpful - 0
Some say magnessium, some say your diet has a lot to do with it, St. johns wart. Do some research on natural rememdies. It really is trial and error. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Nutrition Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.