Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

liquid b-12

Does anyone know if liquid sublingual b-12 is as beneficial as b-12 injections? Can't afford to pay for dr's visits and shots...any advice would be appreciated
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You can make and administer your own B12 from inexpensive 1000mg b12 tablets. Crush them, add water, a drop at a time, until a paste is made. Using a q tip, apply the paste to the interior of your nose. These nasal passages will absorb the B12  and transfer it to the blood stream by way of the small capillaries in the nares  (nostrils). You should do this about every 3 or 4 days (twice a week) for 4 weeks. There are a few minor inactive ingredients in the B12 tablet, these are harmless, though occasionally, an individual will say they are an irritant. This method is nearly as effective as the costly Dr visit and injection. Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Please realize you cannot give IM Cyanocobalamin with an insulin syringe, which is too small and thin to deliver a deep IM injection. Also, the med is a large molecule.  Rn/Crrn
Helpful - 0
EnerGized,

We are not taking B12 supplementation for extra energy but to maintain what our body requires to live.

Our B12 is truly low either because of an auto-immune problem that blocks absorption of B12 in our digestive system or we have malabsorption due to other factors. So any oral B12 replacement isn't effective for us.

It was a good thought though.

Best, TJ
Helpful - 0
About 2 years ago I was introduced to an amazing energy drink (2nd in sales to Red Bull, belive it or not) that tastes good and is good for you. Since that time, I have met so many people who are either diabetic or lacking energy and looking for an alternative to the unhealthy energy drinks and costly B-12 shots. The ingredients in this drink are awesome. Here are just a few: adaptogenic herbs, L-glutamine, L-taurine, and ginseng. That may not be exciting, but here's what got my attention: THERE IS 100% OF YOUR DAILY RECCOMMENDED VALUE OF B3 AND B5 VITAMINS, 300% OF B6, AND 4900% OF B-12! THAT'S ALMOST A WHOLE B-12 SHOT IN ONE CAN!!! Another great thing is that there is NO SUGAR AND NO CARBS. What makes this drink unlike any other is that its formula is patented and FDA approved. The drink is called XS and comes in 9 different flavors (3 are caffine-free). Go to cfarley.qhealthzone.com and check it out!
Helpful - 0
Hi sassysusan,

If you are able to give yourself a sub-q injection (just like diabetics do for insulin)...you can take your own injections at home.  I give my own in my abdomen.  The doctors office can teach you the technique & give you a prescription for everything you need & it is covered by insurance.  I pay $10.00 (out of pocket) for 30cc's which is 30 injections. I pay cash for the medication because you can get so much more for the same amount of money if you have co-pay's. Then I get my insulin syringes & alcohol wipes thru my insurance. If the insurance buys it they will only give you enough for 30-90 days which is (1-3) 1cc (single dose) vials for probably the same amount as the 30cc multidose vial if have a co-pay.

Now if that'd not an option I found this info on the web site below.

I don't beleive the liquid B-12 that you put under your tongue is all it's advertised to be. Otherwise the doctors would be using it more,

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/2001/07_01/dharmarajan.htm

An alternative to parenteral therapy recently approved by the FDA is intranasal administration of cyanocobalamin. In Europe, intranasal hydroxocobalamin has been widely used for years. The intranasal administration of 500 micrograms of cyanocobalamin weekly attains blood levels that are comparable to those found with intramuscular injections. This route is contraindicated in patients who have nasal diseases or are receiving other medications simultaneously in the same nostril. Intranasal B12 offers the advantage of delivery by the patient or caregiver (25).

In the absence of Intrinsic Factor, oral administration of a dose consistent with the RDA level is unlikely to prove beneficial, particularly in patients with pernicious anemia and those who have undergone gastrectomy. Even in the absence of IF, about 1% of the oral dose is absorbed from the intestine by simple diffusion (1,11). Thus, in pernicious anemia, vitamin B12 must be given in large amounts (preferably >1,000 micrograms a day) (5,26). However, in vegan patients or those with malabsorption of cobalamin from food and low gastric acidity, oral B12 may be effective in smaller doses (9). The bioavailability of B12 from multivitamin preparations is difficult to predict (27). Finally, patient compliance remains a significant concern with oral B12 treatment, particularly in elderly patients and those with dementia (26).

We believe that vitamin B12 deficiency should be initially corrected with intramuscular administration followed by intramuscular, intranasal, or oral therapy. When cobalamin is reliably administered by either parenteral or intranasal routes, follow-up measurement of serum B12 levels should be unnecessary. Therapy should be continued even if B12 levels improve, because they will likely decrease over time and the risk of deficiency recur (14).

I hope this helps,
TJ
Helpful - 0
Some say they are not as good but better than pills.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Nutrition Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.