Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Unwanted Erections and Possible Prostatitis

I am 54 year old male..my sexual desire has been lacking for about one year..mainly do to stress and Paxil I believe. I have had virtually every blood test five months ago..everything ok. I went to southest asia about one month ago...had a handjob from massage therapist...nothing else. Since then I've been worried. I had a slight dull ache, and twinge occassionally in upper part of penis shaft in prostate before I left to S/E Asia..when I returned I went on Avelox because I've had Prostatitis before and GP wanted to take care of it...I
've been on 2 weeks so far. I also was being put on Wellbutrin and being taken down on Paxil...when I got up to 300 of Wellbutrin after 4 weeks at 150 I began to have 3-4 nightly erections where I would get up to urinate and the erections would go away...I only remember rarely waking up with an erection?? I am going down on Wellbutrin because the nightly erections scare me...I am now down to zero Wellbutrin for the last week...still having 2-3 erections nighttime and early morning before getting up. My dr. says not to worry about STD's...etc. I have no symptoms after 30 days, and I be a case study if I got anything from a handjob? Do you concur? And, could this worry or the antidepresents be causing these nightime erections? No other symptoms, and PSA was 2.7 five months ago.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
233190 tn?1278549801
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Difficult to say without examination.  Although possible, it would be unlikely that without genital-oral contact that you could have contracted an STD.  

You can further evaluate the possibility of prostatitis with analysis of the prostatic fluid, and possibly a transrectal ultrasound.

Paxil is known to decrease libido and cause soem sexual dysfunction.  With the change to Wellbutrin, it is possible that this could have led to a more normal erectile pattern.

You can discuss these options in conjunction with a urology referral

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Urology Forum

Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.