Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pain in Penis, and sometimes Testicals

26/male..My problem has been going on for 3-4 months now. It first started with dull pain in my testicles. Doctor prescribed Doxycycline, and I did improve a little bit. Days later, pain started in my penis, mostly the shaft. It hurts the most after I have sex or masturbate, and I was tested negative for all std's, and took 4 pills of zitrhomax just in case. So my doctor then said I had Prostatitis, and prescribed antibitoics (forgot the name) 3 times a day for 30 days. I didn't like the fact that he didn't test my prostate before giving me the prescription, so I went to another Uroligist who did Ultrasound and digital exam, and he said my prostate was fine. Today I woke up with a lot of pain as I had sex twice in the past 2 days, and I went back to my old doctor. He gave the antibiotic prescription again and insisted it was the prostate..The antibiotics are going to cost me $300 for 90 pills (3 times a day for 30 days and No insurance) so I'm hesitating to buy them..My question is: Why is my doctor insisting that it's the prostate while the other doctor did ultrasound and digital exam said it wasn't? I'm confused, in pain , and don't know what to do. Thank you for your time.
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
233190 tn?1278549801
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Prostatitis can be difficult to diagnose.  However, with a normal ultrasound and rectal exam - it would make this possibility less likely.  

You can consider a prostatic massage, and send off any prostatic fluid off to culture to ensure there isn't any prostate infection.

Another consideration would be a scrotal infection or condition.  I would ultrasound the scrotum to ensure this isn't the case.

A cystoscopy can be considered to evaluate for any lower GI problem - such as a urethral stricture or polyp.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Urology Forum

Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.