Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Inflammation that will not go away

I am a 35 yr old male dealing with burning in the tip of the penis.  It started off as burning before during and after urination just inside the urethra with slight redness surrounding the area.  Over the past 7 months, after numerous trips to the doctors (GP and Urologist) and 3 urinalysis and numerous anti-biotics, the symptoms never go away completely.  They do lessen a bit, but never go away.  I drink tons of water to lessen/get rid of the burning during and after urination and that does help.  Basically, everything looks and feels  fairly normal in the mornings with no burning but as the day progresses and I am working, it all starts up.  Gets really red almost to the point you could call it a rash and the burning increases. If I use some cortizone cream it goes away for a while.  I have tried a few OTC fungal creams but they don't really do any better than the cortizone creams. Both of my doctors have really been no help.  They tell me its in my head because my urinalysis shows nothing and when I go there, I don't have alot of inflammation.  My GP gave me a script for Nystantin (I think thats what it is), but again, it did no better than the cortizone creams.  Infact it almost made it feel worse to some point.  I asked them both about Fungal infections, Yeast infections, a urethral stricture or even herpes(god I hope not).  They both said that my symptoms are not characteristic of herpes due to the fact that they never go away completely and they come and go daily and I have never had any kind of blisters or lessions and not to mention the fact that I have been married for 12 years.  Also, I would think my wife would have possibly shown some symptoms of it as well. Though, I know not everyone shows symptoms at all. Still, I have to wonder.  They both kinda blew off the questions about yeast and fungal problems.  I have seen pictures on line of Balanitis  Candida and thats how mine looks, the only thing is mine comes and goes daily.  Is that possible with that stuff?  I have also read that the only way to truely get rid of a Candida problem is through oral medications.  Which in my case seems to be true if infact that is what I have. Can a fungal infection be diagnosed through a urinalysis?  I am really frustrated here.  No one seems to listen to me at all.  The next thing my urologist wants to do is a cystoscopy.  Everyone says its in my head when I know that its real.  I am at the end of my rope here. It is affecting my marriage and my over all well being.  Any Ideas of what this could be or infact is?  My symptoms just seem to lead in a lot of directions and I am getting no help from my doctors what so ever.  In the past 7 months I have had maybe a total of 7 days that I felt fairly normal. I have only been able to have sex with my wife maybe 5 times since this whole thing started.  Theres not much sex drive when the tip of your penis is inflammed, and when you get an erection its even worse. Thanks and I hope you can help.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
233190 tn?1278549801
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Difficult to say without evaluation.

I would assume that many of the more common infections (i.e. UTIs and STDs) have been ruled out already.

If there is question about a fungal infection, a urethral swab can be obtained and cultured for fungus.  

Balinitis is normally treated with antifungal medications.  However, I would consider obtaining the services of a dermatologist to give a more definitive opinion.

If all infection has been ruled out (including the prostate), you can consider looking at anatomical abnormalities - such as a urethral stricture or polyp.  A cystoscopy can comprehensively evaluate the lower GU tract.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Urology Forum

Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.