There are many resources on the web that provide tips for managing Gout. Here you will find a few general guidelines including a list of foods by purine content.
1. A low purine diet is recommended to reduce Gout flares. Purines are compounds that are converted into uric acid as they are metabolized. High uric acid levels can cause Gout and gout flares.
2. Eat a low fat diet. Gout has been associated with an increased risk of heart disease. Eating a low fat diet can reduce this risk.
3. Drink lots of fluids. This will help your body rid itself of some of the uric acid in your system. Drinking water is great for Gout.
4. Limit or stop drinking alcohol. Any alcohol consumption should be discussed with your doctor in case your treatment plan mandates that you not consume alcohol. If you can drink small amounts, wine is probably the best option if you suffer from Gout and want to have a drink with dinner. Beer is high in purines.
5. Maintain a healthy weight.
Here is a list of foods by purine level. High purine foods increase uric acid levels so they should probably be avoided or at least consumed in small quantities.
High Purine Foods
Yeast (supplement form, not breads)
Medium Purine Foods
Whole grain breads
Whole grain cereals
Low Purine Foods
Low Purine Beverages