Beef or Turkey Stew - this dish goes nicely with a green leaf lettuce and cucumber salad and a dinner roll. Plantains or corn can be used in place of the potatoes.
1 pound lean beef or turkey breast, cut into cubes
2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
¼ tsp. salt (optional)
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. cumin
1½ Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium onions, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 medium red/green bell pepper, sliced
1 medium tomato, finely minced
5 cups beef or turkey broth, fat removed
5 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
12 small carrots, cut into large chunks
1¼ cups green peas
• Preheat oven to 375 °F.
• Mix the whole wheat flour with salt, pepper, and cumin. Roll the beef or turkey cubes in the mixture. Shake off excess flour.
• In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef or turkey cubes and sauté
until nicely brown, about 7–10 minutes.
• Place beef or turkey in an ovenproof casserole dish.
• Add minced garlic, onions, celery, and peppers to skillet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
• Stir in tomato and broth. Bring to a boil and pour over turkey or beef in casserole dish. Cover dish tightly and bake for 1 hour at 375 °F.
• Remove from oven and stir in potatoes, carrots, and peas. Bake for another 20–25 minutes or until tender.
Lean Meat 3