Rice with Chicken, Spanish Style - this is a good way to get vegetables into the meal plan. Serve with a mixed green salad and some whole wheat bread.
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 medium red/green peppers, cut into strips
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 cups uncooked whole grain rice
3 pounds boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces, skin removed 1½ tsp. salt (optional)
2½ cups low-fat chicken broth
Saffron or SazónTM for color
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen green beans
Olives or capers for garnish (optional)
• Heat olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick pot. Add onion, garlic, celery, red/green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until tender.
• Add whole grain rice and sauté for 2–3 minutes, stirring constantly to mix all ingredients.
• Add chicken, salt, chicken broth, water, Saffron/SazónTM, and tomatoes. Bring water to a boil.
• Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let the casserole simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
• Stir in peas, corn, and beans and cook for 8–10 minutes. When everything is hot, the casserole is ready to serve. Garnish with olives or capers, if desired.