About Me: Male, 36, Austria, member since Sep 2007
What brought me here is the uncertainty about having an undiagnosed liver related syndrome, possibly viral nature.
* things that worry me:
- exposure 2002, followed by elevations in ALT, AST (100-200) for several months. Retrospectively diagnosed as "undefined self limited hepatitis"
- lots of strange symptoms (from hair loss to fatigue, ill looks, palmar erythema, strange swolen feeling/pain around ankles/feet)
- elevated bilirubin ~1-1.5 mg/dl (but mainly indirect one), so docs think it is Gilbert's syndrome
- elevated bile acids (~20mmol, range <10-20, was told it's harmless, but then again, why are they elevated)
- not so great platelet count (~200)
- consistently inverted AST:ALT ratio (eg. 27:20)
- low-ish QUICK value (howering between 70% and 90%
-> am i seriously ill? am i infectious? might i endanger my girlfriend??
* things that docs tell me i should be glad about:
- all viral tests, STDs negative (Hep ABCDE, HIV etc) , by antibody, DNA, antigen etc., no hep B/C in PMBC's either
- harmless gilbert's syndrome diagnosed (heterocygot, not homocygot) which could be responsible for Bilirubin + bile acid figures (although Schiff's book says differently)
- other liver params (ALT, AST, GammaGT, Alk.Ph, etc.) normal (betwen 10-30), except for AST:ALT ratio
- normal ultrasound + duplex (repeated)
- normal fibroscan (around 5 or so)
- normal liver biopsy (2007)
- no varices found in stomach, esophagus (suspected i had them)
- what i thought are lymph nodes turned out to be lipoms (fat deposit) when analyzed by pathologist.
- even though i feel very sick and weak, i get through daily life (work, etc) reasonably well at the moment, and sometimes even go to gym.
currently awaiting the results of a liver biopsy (my second) where in addition to histology some viral tests will be carried out on.
** update **
doctor emailed me brief summary of biospy results, which say:
- normal histology
- realtime PCR did not find HCV/HBV infection
- no evidence of liver disease.
very good. but question remains. what do i have then. how do i get rid of the swolen ankles.
** thanks for any input in case you have a hint or suggestion where i might turn to. **
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.