ADD / ADHD Community
14yr Freshman-Learning help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

14yr Freshman-Learning help

Hello All, this is my 1st time doing this, I don't even know if I'm asking in the right topic. Here it goes.  I have a 14yr boy freshman, only child.  This weekend he asked me for help. He said mom I feel their is something wrong w/me.  I feel I'm not learning right. I have noticed a 7th-8th now 9grade it's been a struggle, grades c's-d's.  What do I do next, where do I get him tested and what do I get him tested for?  According to his teachers, he asks to go to bathroom all the time, he can't sit still (something has to be moving: fingers, hands, feet).  He doesnt turn in HW & if he does its late.  If he comes home and I ask what HW do you have today he will say none. He has good daily grade, fair test results but HM zero's bring his grades down.  In class the teacher will be talking and he will have a blank look on his face, like his mind is else where (teacher said).  He a social butterfly, has lots of friends, popular, good looking and I feel is lazy when it comes to school.  I feel he doesnt want to work on getting good grades or could it be something else I'm just missing it?  I don't know, I am at my witts end.  Has anyone been here? What to do?  Thank you!
Tags: school, test, help
   Wow!  If you have a 14 year old boy asking for help, you had better listen.  Also congratulate yourself that he is communicating with you.  Kids with ADHD and good intelligence can make it to about 7th grade before they start having problems.  Its usually algebra or pre algebra that starts to do them in.  Also since doing homework is usually extremely important, and is very difficult for a ADHD kid to do (takes them 3 hours to do what normal kids can do in one hour) - the middle school years are tough.  Those years, of course, are nothing compared to high school.
   So what can you do?  The first and most important thing is to get some good info on ADHD and what it does to kids in school.  One of the better ones I have seen is  this one from the WebMD.  It seems fairly unbaised. http://www.rxlist.com/attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder_adhd/article.htm   Also Michael Phelps is vey much in the news now.  Check out  the struggles he had in school
   Second, work through your school.  Find your son's counselor and talk to them.  Let them know what your son has said.  Tell them your want your son tested (they can't refuse).
   Finally, there are things your son can do to help himself in school (and if he does have ADHD, he is not being lazy.  He is frustrated and on the verge of giving up), you have to help him find these coping skills.  Which once again involves you in learing more about ADHD.
   Good Luck!!!