ADD / ADHD Community
14yr son ADD / his father Bipolar but im against medication

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

I have a 14 yr old son who has all through elementary and now middle school has had behavorial problems. like forgets homework, forgets chores, argues over the smallest things ....like washing dishes....gets angry sometimes and argues...disrupting teacher, very defiant when told to correct behavior, always feels like hes being picked on and has an excuse for everything!!!! Also on the go....hates sitting at home.. He is very talented in drawing, skateboarding has always played sports (baseball & football).
i guess my question is im trying to find home remedies for concentration.... we tell him to do his chores it will take him all day to clean his room and still by the evening its not completely done...almost like he doesnt know where to begin.. He really has a hard time focusing and listening...and getting motivated...
Now i know from my own expeienced I can be scattered brain have no idea where to start and i work through it....but trying to implement this on my son is hard.
his father was diagnosed with Bipolar in 2001 and my son has seen his struggles and therefore he struggled with taking meds. in 2010 we moved 30 miles away and it seemed like my son was on the right path...
his father recenetly passed because of a Brain infection and now my son is struggling with this...
his behavior has converted back to the bad and now its started all over again..
help i dont know what to do
   Has your son been professionally diagnosed with ADD or is that just your opinion?  
Also you said, "my son has seen his struggles and therefore he struggled with taking meds."  Who was taking the meds? - your son or his father?  If it was your son - what were the meds?
  Sorry for the additional questions - obviously this has been rough on all of you - but makes a difference as to recommendations as to what to do.
Hi. My son has ADHD and my husband was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder a year ago. Was your son's father's death a result of Bipolar disorder. Both my son and husband take medication.
the things that you are talking about sound like typical adhd. If you think you need to you might consider some meds..there are natural meds that you can take but you really need to do the research and make sure that the herb has been processed and prepared properly.
I'm 16 years old, my mom is bipolar, I am ADHD and have been on multiple medications. So I understand what your son is going through. I don't like taking medication either but at the moment I need to. However, I am slowly being able to get off of it, mainly due to my therapist and chiropractor. My chiropractor is dr. Blume and he owns Blume chiropractics, he might have a website. He is amazing. You may be wondering what chiropractic work has to do with ADHD but spinal health plays a huge role in health for your physical and mental state. He is not the traditional chiropractor who simply pops your joints. Instead he has a drop table and amazing philosophy that you can make yourself better. I know it sounds crazy and I was a skeptic at first, but I have actually gone down from being on 10 medications to only 4 and I couldn't have done that without my therapist and chiropractor. I don't want to sound like an infomercial but this is the best advice I can give. I can give you his number and he can just talk to you and help figure out the best solution. I trust him with my life. He's like family and I am actually studying to become a chiropractor because of him.
If your not interested in dr Blume I would strongly recommend a therapist and the right chiropractor. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that your son is ADD/ADHD, that commonly gets misdiagnosed. Before any meds, I'd go to a therapist and GOOD chiropractor, it will save you time and money. I have a lot more on the subject if you would like to talk you are welcome to send me a message(: