ADD / ADHD Community
5 yr old son with what seems to be over active mind

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

We have a 5 yr old son who is having a hard time with what seems to be an over active mind. I was laying with him one night and was trying to talk to him and his mind was all over the place, even to the point were I forgot about what he was talking about and started wondering why is he thinking about these things. His attention span is short and seems to get bored with things real easy. He is very smart and over thinks things. He worriers about everything and is very hard on himself to the point were he looses interest in things quick and gets very frustrated with himself fast. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks the Caraway family
        Smart children at this age have very active minds.  They are at the point where the whole world is suddenly open to them.  The smarter they are, the more they try to take in.  Its not that his attention span is short, it just that he moves on to other things a lot faster.  
      There is a series of books called the learning to get along series that might prove helpful.  They are designed for the 4-7 year old child and are meant to be read aloud.  Several might prove helpful.  But you might want to check out "try and stick with it". check out this link
  for more info.  http://www.amazon.com/Try-Stick-Learning-Get-Along/dp/1575421593/ref=pd_sim_b_8
       Do read to him every night.  Probably the most important thing is laying with him and talking.  He will worry, you can calm those worries.  Sounds like a neat kid.  
Please be patient. He is only five years old. He will become more focused with time. Rejoice in having such a clever son and give him time to grow up.
hansen20 commented on Des92's status
hansen20 well tonight I started my p... Comment
hansen20 commented on hansen20's status