ADD / ADHD Community
5yr old with bad thoughts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

5yr old with bad thoughts

My 5 yr old daughter tells me her brain is thinking bad thoughts. (one that really scared me is " my brain is thinking of killing grandma"). She says she doesnt know why her brain is thinking that and knows its not right. She says she would never hurt grandma (she is very close to her). She asked me to tell her brain to make the bad thoughts go away. Should i have her checked out? How can i help her?  Im scared to not do anything about it and 20 years from now she will be some psycho killer! Please Help!
Tags: 5yr old
These types of irrational thoughts are actually symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder.  I know because I have it.  I too had the same thoughts only at a much more advanced age.  I think that she should be evaluated by a physician for OCD.  I know what to do for an adult but I don't know what to advise you to do for a child.  As an adult you can "picture" yourself actually acting out the thought and when you do that you realize that it is something that you would never do.  These irrational thoughts are never carried out by OCD sufferers so I don't think you have to worry about her becoming something other than a smart young lady one day.  Take her in and get a diagnosis.  She is not too young for this.  For instance my sister developed it at age 7.  Also, OCD can be accompanied by anxiety so watch her carefully for any anxiety symtpoms as well such as not sleeping.