ADD / ADHD Community
6 year old with attention problem in school

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

My son turned 6 year old in September and he is having problem paying attention in school (1st Grade), although he knows the material, the rest of his classmate are completing their work before him.  According to his teacher he is usually distracted; she is suggesting that he see the school psychologist. She even stated that once she sits next to him he is able to complete the work with no assistance. I think it is a manturity issue; do you think this is ADHD?
Is he hyper? ADHD means they can't pay attention AND they are extremely hyper. If he isn't hyper, he could be ADD but no one will know for sure until he is tested. Is there anything going on at home that could be distracting, like a divorce or something else major?
yes, there is a baby (10 months) and struggle with my partner and myself trying to care for the both of them. There is also some housing issues which the 6 year old is aware of. Do you really think this is ADD?
Home issues typically don't effect a 6 year old as much as (say) a 12 year old. Essentially, the teacher is comparing him to other kids in the class and other kids she has taught.  If she is an experienced teacher, then she has basis for her reasoning.  The school psyc will essentially hand out surveys to the parents and teacher.  Whatever the outcome, it is always your choice on how to proceed.  It may very well be that he is able (if he has ADHD) to handle the schoolwork for a year or two, before it begins to really affect him.  ADD or ADHD is not a bad thing to have - if it is acknowledged and dealt with correctly.
My 9 yr old nephew went through the same thing a couple years ago.  He can do his school/homework if he applies himself, but often gets distracted.  He was always the last one to finish assignments in class.

His Mom found a website/ebook (The ADHD/ADD Natural Remedy Report) that was incredibly helpful:   http://www.clickaudit.com/goto/?138318

For some people ADHD/ADD is caused primarily by inherited genetic factors. While others experience symptoms due to their diet, hormonal imbalances or even allergies.

Some of the things she found on this site that helped him the most were about nutritional deficiencies ... Omega 3 Fatty Acids.  There was also information on how massage calms not only the body, but also calms the brain!

She also set up a reward system, which my nephew thinks is a game ... He has improved tremendously!

Hope this is helpful,
Keith

P.S.  Here's that link again to the "The ADHD/ADD Natural Remedy Report"
http://www.clickaudit.com/goto/?138318
krichar commented on krichar's status
1 hr ago
krichar need name suggestions. .. w... Comment
krichar commented on veronica0808's status