ADD / ADHD Community
AADD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

AADD

I am a 23 year old female.I have been experiencing ADD like symptoms for the last year or so. It comes and goes but it is really starting to affect my concentration and sometimes when i speak it is like ramblings coming out of  my mouth.

I wasn't diagnosed with add or adhd as a child. I was fairly normal apart from a very short temper and anger outbursts.

Is it possible for ADD to only start in adulthood? And can a certain event or change in your life set it off? I'm trying to figure out if I actually need to seek medical help or if I'm just imagining things.

Thank youin dvance
Tags: AADD
    You might want to get your thyroid checked out.  While ADHD really doesn't start in adult hood - thyroid problems can.  So ya, I would go and get a medical checkup including blood tests.
   But I should add that ADD can easily go undetected during childhood if one has pretty good intelligence.  You really haven't given enough of your symptoms for me to comment much.  A pretty good web site to check out for adulthood ADD is totallyadd.com
   Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply.

One of the symptoms that I have noticed is that it is like I have 10 conversations in my head and I have to focus on all of them but it is impossible. Then i get really worked up and frustrated because I can't concentrate, and the only way to calm my brain, is if i try to block everything out.This usually takes about ten minutes before i can focus again.

I will have a look at the website that you mentioned.