ADD / ADHD Community
ADD/ADHD and fatigue/tired/sleepy/lethargic?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Hello everyone.  I was doing some researching ADD on google and found a lot of people on forums who have ADD/ADHD commenting that they have a lot of fatigue.  I'm one of them.  

How many on this board have the same problem?  And if so, has your doctor found a source of your fatigue?  How would you best describe your fatigue/sleepiness/tiredness/lethargic, anything like lack of motivation, depression, inattention, poor use of energy?

I asked my doctor if the inattention/poor concentration of ADD/ADHD can be felt as fatigue.  Or if the strain of trying to concentrate on every area of your life can cause fatigue.  He said something like that it's more of not being able to put your energy to use/do things.

Thank you.  
I feel like I have the same problem, though since I've started taking medication to help me learn how to be organized and productive I've not noticed it.  
I would describe my fatigue as more of a mental fatigue.  Days when my mind was thinking about things non stop I would go to sleep very early or sleep all day, mostly to get a break from my rambling mind. My job also didn't help because I also get sensory overload easily and I work in an electronics store which has lots of alarms and sounds and people... it's just exhausting...  Other days my mind would seem to be like it was turned off, on those days I would forget to even do simply things like even eating unless someone reminded me to.  
I feel like my mental fatigue was more from the fact that on days where I had some many ideas running through my head I would start a bunch of projects and not get anything done.  After using energy to realize you got nothing done... the feeling just brings you down... I wouldn't say to a full on depression but I would feel very.... Not useful to anyone.  So I would say your doctor has a point, but I think there are other things that can affect your level of fatigue or lethargy.
Fatigue is not usually associated with ADD - quite the opposite in fact. Be careful of a misdiagnosis.
Same same, always tired, doesn´t matter if I sleep 2 or 20hrs.... Fatigue from the moment I wake up, till I lay awake in the bed for hours before finally getting some sleep....

But after years I´ve now discoverred severe problems in my vertebral column that could also explain this, however I´m having an idea that this may cause my adhd. I can give you the following example: Happy, happy, happy! Off to the mall, still happy, but after an hour or so I start getting irritated, people annoy me when they get to close, getting angry, unpolite and so on... May also tell them off in various ways, and none of them very polite...... This I explained with adhd untill a short time ago, now I realice, and see that its related to back pain, I go home, take something with codeine and life is again "wonderfull". he strange thing is that I´ve had these pains for so many years that I don´t recognice them as pain anymore. My subconcious however realices, even though it is "hiding" it from me.

Problem is that every time I went to the "docs" the last 20 years complaining about neck and back pain they instantly call it stress or depression (actually been complaining about back since I was 12, I´m 43 now!). So I´m not having doubts about my adhd, or my depressions, but could most of these diagnosis be related to the vertebral column? I wonder.... Check your backs with MR and X rays and get back to me ;)
You should try a NUCCA Dr. It is a Chiropractor that deals with the first two cervical vertebrae which are linked to all sorts of body functions. It worked for me. I was having chronic back and stomach pain as well as digestive problems but now I am 90-100 percent better. They also help with anxiety and adhd. Look it up online for more information and to see if there's one in your area.