ADD / ADHD Community
ADD w/ anxiety on Concerta

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

ADD w/ anxiety on Concerta

My 9 year old daughter has been placed on Concerta for her ADDw/anxiety. My 1st. choice was Strattera. Is Concerta considered to be a close match to the properties in Strattera? My daughter seems to still be distant, has a low attention span, and can't follow rules. We are struggling just as bad now as we were before the meds-maybe worse. The medication has seemed to make her more hyper active and unfocused. Should I suggest a different medication at her next appointment? It's been 2 months that she's been on it!!
You might ask her doctor what he thinks. My son is also on strattera and he still has alot of problems. One of the other girls on here says she likes concerta. I have also heard of this one called vyvanse. I would lokk online and see all the risks on them all and then talk to your doctor about wha he/she thinks is best for you child. Good luck.
Concerta was no help for  my daughter.   She still couldn't focus, had severe headaches and was unable to sleep at night.  I've heard of a few kids on strattera developing severe depression and thoughts of death.  My daughter is on adderall (adderrall) 10mg twice daily.  
Hi,  My son was put on Daytrana for ADHD   (a stimulant) and it made the symptoms of his undiagnosed Mood Disorder magnified. It was a good thing because we were not aware of a possible mood disorder. Stimulants can be very dangerous with kids who have mood disorders. My son was talking a lot of hurting himself and even put a large rubber band around his neck. We eventually had to have him Baker Acted for his aggression and talking of hurting himself and this is when we were told about the possible mood disorder and how the sitmulants can react in a bad way. He is now on a med to treat his Mood Disorder and has nothing for his ADHD. I am going to ask about the Straterra as I understand it is not a stimulant. Watch for any signs of depression and talk to the doctor right away and as always my advice is if the doc seems to not hear, call another.  I have become very assertive since trying to find help for my son. It helps!  
I took my daughter to her Doc yesterday. I told her that the Concerta wasn't helping. I mentioned that my daughter seemed just as inattentive as before, if not more so.
I received a free month's trial of Vyvanse, along with a mild antidepressant-she also has a bedwetting issue, and Doc says it might help.
I haven't started her on it yet. Want to do some research first. Hopefully this combination gets us on a new path.
Doc said to take it easy on her for right now, let the meds start to take affect, and then start working with her again. I'll let everyone know how it goes...

Thanks for your input.
For different people, different stimulants react differently.  For example one 10 year old female might do fantastic on Concerta (Methyphenidate) and another, same age/sex may not, but may respond to Adderall (adderrall) (Mixed Amphetamine Salts)

Vyvanse is by the makers of Adderall (adderrall) and it's an excellent option because it provides 12 hours of symptom relief.

I am a 30 year old female with ADHD mixed type and I have done perfect on Adderall (adderrall) XR, Wellbutrin XL and klonopin (at night).  I tried Concerta and Focalin and they made things worse.

Also, the dosing may be too high/low.  It's a lot of trial and error and it can be very frustrating, but once you find the combo that works, it's worth it!

*disclaimer* I am not a Psychologist, I am a Graduate Psych student, so I can just give you tools to take to the doctor.  I had to be very well researched in the different options and was very aggressive with my doc to get the dosing right.

By the way, for children under 18, I would stay away from Straterra for now, there is just not enough data out there for children patients as compared to adult patients.  I tried it and it made me narcoleptic (I fell asleep EVERYWHERE at any given moment).
D.
I forgot to mention that with children under 18, I believe the only FDA approved anti-depressant is Prozac.  I did find when I started taking the adderall (adderrall), my depression and anxiety completely dissappeared as they were a result of the traumatic symptons of ADHD.
Look into these meds:

Focalin XR <--methylphenidate hydrochloride (about 6-8hrs of symptom control)
Adderall (adderrall) XR <--mixed amphetamine salts (they metabolize more consistently, avoiding "crash", plus the XR can last up to 10 hours!!)
Ritalin SR <--the sustained release (6-8hrs) of methylphenidate
Dexadrine Spansules <--dextroamphetamine (fast acting, but drops off quickly, not good for school aged kids)

As for the Daytrana "patch", I would avoid until they work the kinks out!  Same with Vyvanse...
Look into these meds:

My sons both took Concerta for a while with success, but at around age 10, both developed anxiety from the Concerta.  It was a very physical thing, and you could see the relief in them when the meds wore off late in the day.  I always suspected both were starting puberty when their bodies started reacting to the meds so differently as both were early bloomers.  Both tried Strattera with little success.  One took Adderall (adderrall) for a while and did well on it but it was changed to Focalin XR becasue of a family history of heart problems.  The older son refuses to take any meds becasue of the anxiety caused by Strattera- he feels certain any stimulant will make him feel the same.  
Hi all- I am new to this site, and addicted already. I have been on the pregancy forum for days now. Just wanted to share my story. My son is 11, I knew from the time he was 6 months he had issues. After years of wondering, when school time came, he was finally diagnosed with ADHD.  We waited, researched and decided to try Strattera.  This was horrible! My son was in a "zombie" like state for weeks, had stomach aches, and withdrew himself completely from society. I said forget this and pulled him off. I tried to go without meds, but unfortunately his behavior in school and home had everyone going crazy.  We then started him on Concerta 36mg and it did wonders.  BUT - due to the calming effects of the stimulant, I noticed he was having episodes of facial tics, low & behold, my son had Tourettes Syndrome. I thought all the years of twitching & can't sit still were effects of the ADHD. The neurologist prescribed Abilify 5mg. per day to control his tics and OCD, mood swings, and sleep disorder.  The combination did wonders.  Well, I lost my health insurance, and now have resorted to Ritalin 20mg. 3x a day. And it's not working. The teachers are calling me at least once a week, and we are having a horrible time at home.  Sometimes I think I need to go to parenting classes, or find a program to help me deal with my child.  I feel like a horrible mom at times, because I am trying to teach my son self-control and stop using his disability as a crutch. If anyone has any advise, please help. I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks
DO you think your son could qualify for a CHIPS card through your Dept of health and Human Resources so you can get him the meds that work best for him?  That might be an avenue to explore.
I have never heard of CHIP's???  I just applied for MediCal again, I put it off for so long due to work and other obligations, but I just found out that I am pregnant, and only have 90 days to apply.  I will have to ask them what CHIPS is.
CHIPS is the Chidlren's HEalthcare Insurance Plan/Program.  Every state has one.  Its a medical card for kids without insurance.  The requirements aren't as low as welfare and this is for kids only.  WIth you being pregnant you might be able to get sometheing for both of you.  Good luck.
CHIPS is a Godsend. I just got all four of my kids approved for CHIPS. the application process was simple and fast.
Hi I am an adult ADHD.

I took adderall (adderrall) xr for a while and it worked...except for when it wore off (impatience, anxiety, and heart fluttering feeling) I also had very strong cravings for cigarettes when the adderall (adderrall) first kicked in and wore off.  I then took the "anti smoking med...starts with a c..."  I quit smoking but the adderall (adderrall) still gave me cravings.  I also had acne issues.  I decided to stop taking Adderall (adderrall).  I stopped taking adderall (adderrall) for a two months and the acne went away.  The craving for cigs went away...but I needed meds for my adhd!

So recently my psych had me try focaline...ugh!  I hate it!  blurry vision, depression, zombie feeling, pain in my stomach.  I have stopped taking it.

Have you had acne issues with adderall (adderrall)?  Maybe I was on just too high of a dose.  What is your dose for adderall (adderrall)?  

My 16 year old son takes Adderall (adderrall) xr in the mornings and takes clonodine in the evenings to get to sleep.  He has ADD and High Functioning Autism (not Aspergers).  He also has a language processing disorder, but we have worked through that with years of therapy with school.  We are in a very good school district.  

He just recently started having tics where he needs to 'tap' his pencil on the paper in 2-3 spots prior to writing.  He doesn't have to tap prior to ever word, but he does it 4-5 times a paragraph.  

He does not have any other facial or other body tics or stimming.

Any ideas?  
Hi Im a 38 yr old mom from michigan my son was diognosed with add since 2nd grade during that time i didnt take it seriously and thought I could fix his lack of concintration myself when he got into the 5th grade I finally decided to try concerta religiously this time and his grades improved a bit but now hes 14 and has an eye twitch bad anxioty which makes him fear death.  he also had issues with playing with his hair and actually caiusing bald spots Im so worried its from the concerta but how can i know that thats what the cause is Im so scared to try other drugs cuz I hate giving him this Im realy worried about him. He is seeing a phycologist and a phyciatrist and shes trying to see if the meds are whats causing his symptoms if anyone knows anyone who is going through this I would appreciate any imput should I have him see a neurologist maybe an see if the tics are something else please help :(