ADD w/anxiety what meds work best??
I'm 23yr male. recently diagnosed add innatentive type with anxiety. I'm well educated on add and don't have a doubt that I have always suffered from this. My more specific problems are extreme boredem, lack of motivation, concentration problems, lack of interest, lack of enjoyment, and I also have anxiety with mild panic which seems to come and go, maybe once or twice a week. What treatment options are best for this? I have been on 2 ssri (celexa, lexapro, 20mg) for the anxiety, both made me completely numb feeling, periods of de-realization, didn't seem to do a thing for my anxiety (yes I was on them for almost two months each)Regardless of my anxiety, my Dr. wanted to try and treat the add and see how the response was. I got a script for adderall IR 10mg 2x daily, which has helped me eliminate caffiene altogether, and I'm working on kicking my nicotine habit. Overall it makes my mood much better and I can feel a lot more normal. It doesn't seem to directly cause my anxiety since I'm feeling better on it, but if I start feeling anxiety while on the adderall it can seem a lot worse than it is. I just feel like I'm stuck and theres nothing that can help. Adderall makes me feel better but I just don't trust it and was wondering how safe really is it compared to ssri's?? I'm worried I'm going to have a terrible panic attack while on it and go psychotic or something. On the other hand, it makes my energy level normal and I feel better and am actually enthaused about life while on it, and not in a euphoric way at all. On the other hand the periods of anxiety can be hell. Has anyone else had a similar experience or has add with anxiety? And if so, what treatment options did you try and how did they work?
Thanks for the good advice. I have been doing the exercise thing and it does help. Sleep hasn't really been an issue for me, just anxiety during the day sometimes. Do you have any experience with adderall or other stims? There's just so much hype about them and I wish I could find a credible source that says they are safe in the long run, or compares them to other meds. The sad thing is I never had an actual panic attack until taking an ssri (felt estranged in my own house, out of my body, litterally freaked out). I have never gotten close to hyperventilating like you have, and I really feel for you there. But I do fear that it could happen, especially while taking something that speeds you up so to speak. Thanks for the reply!
I have ADD and also suffer from anxiety.  I am on adderall and my doctor also gives me a script for Valium and I take that as needed for the anxiety.  It seems to work well for me.