ADD / ADHD Community
ADDICT in Recovery taking meds for ADD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

ADDICT in Recovery taking meds for ADD

I am a recovering drug addict and have been clean for 9-1/2 years.  I've been talking to my psychiatrist about prescribing me medication for ADHD.  My concern is that I may become dependent on the medication and start a downward cycle all over again.  I can put some safeguards in place by having my husband dispense the medication.  Just wanted some input if anyone out there has some similiar experience.  I'm just beginning to become embarrassed by the constant lack of memory/concentration.  It seems I can't understand what I read, I forget where I put things, I forget what people tell me, etc.  I hate it and have dealt with it for a long time.  My psychiatrist is a bit hesitant and says maybe I've got too much on my mind all at once and while that may be true to a degree I still feel I need some sort of help.  Again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.    
I am the perfect example of what you are talking about. I am was a heavy oxycodone addict of 3 years and recently quit. I have been diagnosed with adult ADD by 2 doctors and prescribed every med to treat it you can think of. They all work, the problem is, they have horrible side affects. Some worse than others.

Now, even if you are an addict, AS LONG as your ADHD is legit, taking medication for it is safe.

On the other hand, if taking ADHD medication makes you feel good, and euphoric, that means you DO NOT have ADHD. I have proven this a thousand times. For instance, when I take my ADD meds, I get calm and focused. When someone who does not have ADD takes them (and they have stolen from me) they get jittery, start talking a mile a minute and get super hyper active.

This is why generally, people with legit ADHD do not beome addicts to the medication that transforms thier lives positively.

I am VERY anti-pharmaceuticals, but I think the medications used to treat ADHD are extremely beneficial, even to a recovering addict.

Also, I have taken Adaral for a year straight, then suddenly stopped for a month, and the only thing that happened to me was I was not able to concentrate (which I never could anyways before I starting treating my ADD)

Lastly, just my opinion, stay clear of Strattera.

I wish I could link you to a post I wrote last week that went into depth about this, but it got deleted because it was in the wrong section : (
Nice posting man...i'm a recovered addict with life-long ADHD and now i'm ready to take the advice of 4 different doctor's and take meds. I became addicted to coke initially because it calmed me down for the most part. But street coke is the worst ADD med. You mentioned to avoid a drug...can you go into detail? Do you like the Adderal?

Tom