ADD / ADHD Community
ADHD, Acting out in school and reading problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

My friend has been having a lot of trouble with her 11 year old son whom is in the 6th grade. He has been been suspended over 14 times in the last year for acting out?  Up unitl this point she just thought the school was making to much of these little incidents? But when she started talking to me about him I realized I think he has a lot more going on that they are all missing?  She told me he has ADHD but has choosen not to medicate him? and that his reading comprehention is very bad because he doen't understand words that have two meanings and or spellings such as night and knight? I think maybe the school work has become to much for him and instead of asking for help he is being the class clown to avoid haveing to do the work? She has always looked to the school to name his problems I think she needs to go out side the school for private help? What should I tell her to do? and why are all of these educators missing the big picture?