ADD / ADHD Community
ADHD Stealing/lying

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

ADHD Stealing/lying

Mother of  13 year old girl with severe ADHD and CAPD. She steals from us, friends, neighbors. She sneaks food all the time, we find the evidence in her room, backpack ect. Nailpolish, toys, games from friends and lyes about it. I know I share the same issue with other parents, however, I need to know how to deal with the situation with an ADHD child compared to a non-ADHD child. Our oldest without ADHD stole from grandparents and we call the cops, had him handcuffed and placed in a police car. This scared him to death and he has never stole since. Because ADHD children are so impusive I feel  this kind of drastic reaction won't do the same. Also, we have a b-day sleepover planned for her and have taken that away from her. Are we right to do this?
   Part of the answer depends if she is on medication and how long acting it is.
The short term answer is that ADHD kids don't have filters.  They don't have time to think.  They just do.  It is very different than dealing with a regular child.  So yes, it is correct to not have taken away her sleepover.
  The longer answer deals with medication and behavior modification.  Medication alone won't work and behavior mod alone won't work.  It is a common problem with ADHD kids and it is something that can be dealt with if it is done correctly..  Your psychologist should be able to help.  Good Luck