ADD / ADHD Community
ADHD and Anger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

ADHD and Anger

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was younger; back when i was in public school in the early grades (i'm 19 now). And although I was taken off ritilin and it's not bad anymore, when i get angry my temper flares up and gets pretty bad. Sometimes I throw things and slam things, and yell when i don't mean to (No i have never hurt anyone). But i was thinking/wondering if temper issues can be related to ADHD or if it could be an anger problem on its own, and if i should seek anger management. (I don't drink, or smoke, or do drugs...so they arn't a factor)
     Hey Kelly, one of the symptoms of ADHD is a lack of filters and impulsiveness.  Both of those things can lead to anger outburts.  Basically it makes it harder for you to count to 10.  Ritilin gave you that time.  But I would think at your age that you can learn to deal with it.  And yes, I would think that Anger Management classes would give you some of those skills.  However, you need to know what your triggers are.
  I know from working with a lot of kids as a teacher, that my surest sign that they might be ADHD/ADD was a huge sense of frustration on their part.  They couldn't figure out why when they knew they were as smart or smarter then their peers, they couldn't do as well academically - and as  that built up, they got hugely frustrated!
   Don't know whats going on with you, but I would guess thats a part of it.  One suggestion is to do a bit more research into ADHD to understand how it affects you.  A book I recommend a lot - is, "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley.   Its got a ton of information that will apply and its a pretty fast read due to its listing of things and its good table of contents.  I think she had ADHD people in mind when she wrote it.
   So to answer your question - Yes I think that ADHD is certainly a contributing factor.  I also think that if you work on recognizing what is causing the anger, which leads to stopping it early, and then learning techniques to stop it.  You can deal with this.
   One other thing.  I tend to look at posters other posts to see if I can find anymore information that will help me help them.  I saw your posts on stomach acid problems.  Let me add my two bits.  I disagree with the good doctor prilosec is overkill - at least without trying other things.  I was an elementary school principal for 4 years and by the end I was having massive stomach problems.  I was on 80 mgs a day.  Oh yes, it did help.  It also created a lot  more problems with the normal stomach bacteria that help you deal with things like bacteria, etc.  Long story short.  I found out that once I ended the stress of being a principal -I went back to the classroom (and had a ball), a lot of my stomach problems ended.  It took me quite a while to wean off of prilosec, but I did it.  I now use Maalox and the less strong over the counter acid reducers  like Pepcid when I feel a stressful event coming on.  Most of the time Maalox works very well for me.  My guess is that your condition is not caused by, "probably due to a faulty valve in between esophagus and stomach causing reflux of acid into the esophagus ."  But more by anger and frustration.    Hope you didn't mind me adding my two bits, but I've been there.
   Best wishes.  Please post if you have any more questions.
thanks for the advice and since i live in Canada we dont actualy have  prilosec , the doctor I see put me on Lansoprazole for my stomach; which has helped. My friend is in the medicle field and we tried everything reducing stress, eating better...i dont even touch junk food that oftne. But eventually she told me my stomach makes to much acid; which causes the acid reflux. But it's better now, and thank you for the ADHD advice. I just wanted to add I actually dont feel irritated thinking that I'm lacking in the underachieving area...in fact i've won multiple english awards in highschool and I'm a writier whose in university; i've always felt a bit different in the learning aspect but then I found out my mind works differently and I like it, My mind is a lot more creative and I have a huge imagination than those around me. I've found recently that my trigers come from annoyances rather. If I get in an argument with someone my temper is higher then it should be, or when my parents yell at me I yell back even louder. When my friends hit me playfully i tend to hit back harder...it's the small things. I will says it's gotten a bit better, but in the past I thre a cell phone at my old friend because I was really angry at her. Thank you for your help, and I will try and look into Anger Management.

P.S. I also found out that while I talked to my sister about anger problems; she said she had huge anger problems and still does (she doesnt have ADHD). My dad can get a high anger too. She said it runs in the family and anger management may help.

Thank you once again.