ADHD teenager
Can we try cutting my son's 54mg concerta tablet in half. He is experiencing kind of a zoned out feeling, even though he is able to concentrate, he feels strange on it. Can we try cutting it in half?
   Definitively  NOT!  It is a time release med and specially formulated.  If you cut it he could wind up getting the whole thing released at once into his system.   Talk with his doc about getting a smaller dose.  He is on the largest one now.  Did the doc slowly work him up to that?   The zoned out feeling could indicate the dose is too high.
   Let me know if you need more info.  Best wishes.  
Oh, if you don't mind - let us know what the doc does.
Hello my grandson is 8 and taking methylphenidate 54mg ER. Now what I'm seeing is that when he takes it he does zone out. I would like to cut the pill in half just to see how he act with just half the amount.  Once again he is only 8 and I believe that the dose is to high. Please help a concern grandmother.  
   The dose does seem to high.  His doctor needs to be told, so that the proper medication amount can be prescribed.