ADD / ADHD Community
ADHD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

ADHD

My daughter has been on Concerta for three years. The medication has worked well. However, I am wondering if at some point I should try taking her off it as she gets older to see if she is able to use self control in dealing with her ADHD. This was not an option before and still may not be but should I be trying? Also, on the other end if it's not broke why fix it? My only concern is I am unsure how long she will be on it...for life?
MY SON WAS ON CONCERTA FOR 7YRS AND THEN HE WAN'TED TO GO OFF IT AND I LET HIM AND IT WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. HE DID WONDERFUL ON IT ,HE WAS A HONOR STUDENT, AND THEN THINGS WENT DOWN HILL, HE WOULD NOT TAKE IT  AGAIN AND AT 20YRS OLD HE STILL HAS PROBLEM. I WOULD GIVE IT SOME MORE TIME IT IS A PRETTY SAFE MEDS. IT DID NOT WORK FOR MY DAUGHTER WHO HAS ADHD AND ODD.  SHE HAD SO MANY TICS AND AFTER 3 YRS I FINALLY FOUND THE RIGHT DOCTOR WHO PUT HER ON TENEX AND SHE IS A NEW CHILD, IT WAS THE STIMULANTS THAT DID IT. IF IT IS WORKING DON'T TAKE HER OFF BECAUSE IT WILL BE REALLY BE   HARD ON HER. THAT IS JUST WHAT I THINK AND I'M NOT A DOCTOR, SHE SOUNDS LIKE SHE IS DOING GREAT ON IT.  I HOPE I HELPED ALITTLE BIT. GOOD LUCK