ADD / ADHD Community
Adderal Side Effects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Adderal Side Effects

I am a 20 year old college student, and I have been taking adderal for approximatly 4 months at 20 to 30 mg a day.  For the most part, adderal, of course, helps me get through the day more focused, alert, and I am usually happy and ambitious.  Sometimes, however, I get tics and a nervous feeling in my chest, along with slight slight chest pain.  Much of this may be nervousness or plasibo anxiety, but I am not sure.  I do smoke cigarettes and have coffee every day, which may also increase these side effects.  I am nervous for my health, but do realize that for the most part I never get these tics or nervousness in my heart.  My heart rate usually does not increase and I do not have shortness of breath.
Im 28 and began taking Adderall (adderrall) when I was your age.  If I can give you any advice it would be to talk to your Dr. about switching your medicine to a less addictive forming stimulant such as Vyvanse.  Adderall (adderrall) is such a strong stimulant which can cause smokers to smoke more.  I too struggled with the same problem.  I would not drink coffee in the am when you take the medicine. Oh, and dont drink OJ or any other acidic beverage/fruit with it either b/c it can have an adverse effect.  

Having two stimulants is disruptive to your cardio system. Smoking and taking stimulants can also cause greying of the hair earlier than normal.  In time, you will notice a sensitivity to cold temp..  Adderall (adderrall) can cause high blood pressure and high heart rates.  Ask your doctor or a nurse to check your heart rate/bp on your next visit.  Actually, by law prescribing dr.'s are required to take bp and heart rate of patients taking adderall (adderrall) although few adhere to it.  

I know that it helps you with classes.  It really did help me tremendously although I would highly suggest taking something else.  I have been taking it for 8 years and will be ending it soon. Some side effects disappear, however, most will stay with you.  The negative aspects far outweigh the positive in terms of long term use.  The ticks are very concerning especially if you just began taking them.  CALL your Dr.  Hope this helps a little.
Thanks a lot for your input.

Strangely enough, for the past week I have had no side effects at all and the dose has worked much the way it did when I felt healthy, awake, and prepared.  

I am a Pre-Med and Cancer Cell Biology Major, so it comes with the territory to know the chemistry and roles stimulants and others drugs play in Biological activity, therefore I just had gotten concerned for my health, as anyone would.

I will be be having an appointment with my PP during spring break to finally and proffesionally diagnose my problems and see whether it is Adderall (adderrall) or another drug that is needed.

Again, thanks for the input.
Note that All stimulants are narcotic when treating ADHD/ADD

So that being said common sideffects can include Anxiety and panic attacks.

Make sure you are treating ADHD and not ADD you will need to treat it with different meds.

A common misconception is that ADHD & ADD are the same. thats far from the truth they only share the common ground of being a learning disability. You are looking at two diff kinds of Disorders
James1393,

I know that and I have researched the studied the chemistry and molecular effects of drugs on brain chemistry and am aware that ADD and ADHD are different brain chemisitry issues treated with different medication.

However, thanks for you input.  It is appreciated