ADD / ADHD Community
Adderall & My Eyes!!!!!?????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Adderall & My Eyes!!!!!?????

Hi there - to whomever stumbles upon this lil query of mine.  Any thoughtful responses back would be wonderfully appreciated:)

My question is this:  Why is it that my pupils become so extremely dilated after just a few hours of taking my daily morning dosage of one 20MG Adderall (adderrall) XR and one or two 5MG Adderall (adderrall) (Immediate Release) tablets???!!!!

It is terribly embarrassing to look anyone in the eye now.  I never used to feel so self-conscious about my appearance & social acceptance/perception, etc..  It's like this drug is has turned me into walking & talking oxymoron of a person.  

On the one hand, Adderall (adderrall) gives me this great sense of happiness & well-being.  I want to take on everything.  I get to the gym, I keep my apartment clean & tidy, I have this inner strength of confidence & motivation/drive, all of which, I never really had before starting this medication.  

Then on the flip-side, after people started commenting to me about how huge my pupils were, I began to take notice myself.  Every day, as I put make-up on, washed my face, brushed my teeth - there in the mirror was this beautiful young woman but her once green & lively, bright eyes were simply gone.  I looked exactly as a friend once described - 'lost, sad, empty - that deer in the headlights' appearance.  

It breaks my heart that inside I feel alive again, more like the true me but now because of these damn dilated pupils - people seem more weary of me and possibly, almost frightened of me?  

I dunno, I just don't know what to do.  I'm here.  I feel that I am here and alive and doing my best to overcome life's challenges with a sunny disposition.  My eyes though, they have always given me away; just now it seems as if  they're giving away somebody else.... someone I feel completely stranger to.  

I know this may seem ludicrous & narcissistic to many of you, but truly, eyes are important in life! ... So somebody help me out here please, why do they dilate so much, why doesn't this happen to anyone else I've ever known who has been prescribed an ADHD medication, why does it also happen when I take a medication like Xanax.... is my only option to go off the Adderall (adderrall) or start wearing a pair of colored contact lenses?  ugh.... enough, said.  It just *****.

Thanks for any help or kind words of advice:)
MC;)

P.S.  Granted I am also taking one Cymbalta 60mg capsule daily, as well as one Xanax 2MG in the late afternoon if needed, and, at bedtime, two Ambien CR - or there's no way I will fall asleep until at the earliest: 5am.
I'm curious if you have diagnosed with adhd?  When used properly, adhd medications are not suppose to give you this burst of energy to clean or anything like that.  When that happens, it is being used as speed.  Then you are taking sleep aides and Xanax to come back down?   Anyway, your pupils are dialated because it is an amphetamine and your body is reacting to it.  You'll have to judge whether that is worth it.  Every medication has an up side and a down side.  Only you can judge if it is worth it.  good luck
I have a psychiatrist and psychotherapy with her every week 4 two hrs. I did all the tests and was diagnosed with moderate-severe ADHD. If you have ADHD these things aren't common?  So basically u r telling me I am addicted to speed.  Great.
I didn't mean to come across as saying you are addicted to speed.  I, of course, don't know you or your medical history.  I had thought that it wasn't suppose to rev you up when you took it for adhd.  I do not have adhd---------  I've not experienced the medication myself.  If you are under physician care and they think it is appropriate for you, then so be it.  So, I hope you don't think I was criticizing you.  But it is a class of drugs that could cause the eye issues you describe.  You have to decide if the benefit is worth that.  I'd talk to your doctor about it and see if they have any thoughts.
good luck
Another thought is that you said the eye dilation happens after, "just a few hours of taking my daily morning dosage."  The medication effect is very rapid.  Its a little weird that after taking either your extended release or rapid release meds that you would get the same effect several hours later.  Really makes me wonder if it is adderall (adderrall) causing the problem.  Anyway, this is really something you need to talk over with your doctor.
I have asked my pychiatrist- she says any type of amphetamine drug can have this affect  due to the effect on the central nervous system.  My boyfriend is a surgeon he thinks I've  been completely misdiagnosed & the drug is making my body go into over-drive- causing me to get 'high' from an over production of dopamine, rather than an increase in focus & attention. He's prob correct; but I am a writer & I get so much more work completed when I take the Adderall (adderrall).  I suppose it's not worth the side effects & the anxiety it utimatey causes me.  I was a great writer before the Adderall (adderrall).  Screw it.