ADD / ADHD Community
Adderall Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Adderall Question

I recently starting dating a wonderful guy that told me he takes adderall (adderrall)... I know nothing about this drug.... should I be concerned, what questions should I ask and what should I look out for and does this explain why he doesn't require the same amount of sleep that I do??  I have never dated or known anyone who takes this.... and I want to have a good understanding of what it is... and what it does.... please help.

Thanks.
Thank you.... He is a great guy... and before he said anything  - I had no idea that he was taking anything.  I have read some things online, but sometimes find it more enlightening to talk to people who are going through it and have a  better understanding.
thank you for your response... I do appreciate it.
i have adhd and have taken adderall (adderrall) before and i know quite a lot about the meds.    there is really nothing to worry about and as before stated it is a time released medicine so you may notice a difference in him late at night when the meds begin to wear off or if you are with him in the morning right when he wakes up before he takes it.    also sleep and adhd dont nessasarially have anything to do with one another.    it is most likely just his own personal biology, but if you are worried he is not getting nearly enough sleep, like not sleeping for days on end and feeling fine that could be bi-polar disorder but i highly doubt it or he would be showing other symptoms as well.    i know a fair amount on this subject so if you would like to chit chat about it you can IM me or email me at sk8tolive149 AIM ***@**** email
Thank you so much.... I appreciate your comments very much.  As I said, I know nothing about adhd or adderall (adderrall).  
What about adderall (adderrall) and alcohol??  how does that mix together? - does it affect your sex life??  
As for the sleep... it's not that he is awake and wired....he just goes to bed later than me... and gets up just as early.
I don't think I would have know had he not told me that he took adderall (adderrall)..... I just want to make sure that I am sensitive to his needs and can see signs if I need to offer help.
When the meds wear off.... what should I see??

i would recommend iming me that would make this discussion much faster.    sk8tolive149.      but i dont really think you will need to cater to him much at all.    i can tell your really really into him and wanna keep him.   at night when it wears off it really varys how different he will be.   with me atleast i get a lot more hyper than usual.   my social blocker (keeps me from saying/doing things i would regret) wears off and i get very restless and hard to concentrate and i begin to eat a lot
adderall may affect his sex life, but since he has been on it for a while you will not notice a change so no need to worry about that.   and as for alcohol i would recommend that he not take any especially not get drunk, but so many people dont fallow that and are "fine" in moderation is ok but there is really no need to do it.     but i would say to you that you dont really need to worry about it, unless he is self concious about it.   some people talk about it freely some people are ashamed of it.     but he most likely has it under control so there is no need for you to worry about it just act like you would if he didnt have it for the most part
Thanks again.... I do appreciate your input on this.  He does sometimes drink ... and seems to really be able to hold his alcohol...and I just wanted to be aware of any side effects to watch out for on that.
Should I look for anything in the evening or morning.... that I should be sensitive about?  
I do think he has been on this awhile.... he said he used to take Ritalin.... and he didn't like that... says the adderall (adderrall) works much better for him.
Is there anything I should look for or be sensitive to if he misses or does not take his meds????
if he misses his meds be ready for an emotional roller coaster.    i have been on adhd meds since i was little so my withdraws are severe.    i can go from hyper to moody go away in seconds when i don't have them.   i eat a lot, mope around and pretty much do nothing but watch tv and toss and turn on the coutch.    also and this is VERY important when he doesnt have his meds or when they have worn off don't take what he says to heart all the time.    his block is gone so he will say many things that he will regret and maybe even be a jerk but realize its not what he meens nessesarially he just isnt thinking like he usually does.    but you being so worried about YOU being sensetive to him makes me wonder if YOU have issues with relationships.    is this one of your first relationships or atleast your first with a good guy?
Not my first relationship at all .... as I am probably old enough to be your mother.  My concern (or worry as you put it) was that I am sensitive to what another person may be feeling or going through that I do not have understanding of... or knowledge of since I am not ADHD.  
I was wanting to know what to expect so that I could be supportive.... and understanding.
thats fine..... haha i was assuming you were in your 20s so i was assuming a certain level of immaturity sorry.     but on that note i wouldnt really worry.   have you tried asked him yet?
The reason I am doing some research is because I do want to be able to talk to him... with understanding and support of what he is going through so that when those times come along that I may want to take something he says to heart that I can temper that with understanding..... and be able to talk to him w/ at least some knowledge of his situation.....
No problem on the assumption - you've been helpful.
Not at all a need to worry.  My son who is 22 started taking adderall (adderrall) last summer and it has helped him tremendoulsy.  I have to tell you that he is extremely intelligent and extremely gifted musically.  He can play almost any instrument and listen to a song and duplicate it!  He has ADHD and it went undiagnosed for a very long time.  He just didn't pay attention to things like he should have i.e. driving (he got lots of tickets), homework (didn't get good grades because he didn't complete it or do it at all), unorganized.  He is now back in college and getting straight A's!   I, his mother, also have ADHD and have started taking adderall (adderrall) a couple of months ago because I decided to go back to school to complete my college degree which I never finished (typical of ADHD).  Best of luck to your new guy - I bet he's very smart and interesting!
Smiley- as far as sleep goes, people with ADHD usually have a much harder time falling asleep. My son is 10 and usually he will lay in bed until 10:30 or 11. I lay him down between 8:30 and 9.  The doctor told me their brains have a hard time shutting down.  They are constantly thinking.  Personally I would think you have nothing to worry about.  My son took Adderall (adderrall), it did not mix well with him, then they switched him to Concerta.  If this medicaition with working well for your boyfriend and helping him function, then I don't think you have any concerns.  Although you should probably understnad ADHD if you are going to date someone with it.
Smiley-I am a 42 year old male. I can tell you it has been subtle suffering for years with ADHD. It's a miracle I have a college degree. The condition makes the individual appear to be inconsistent and self absorbed. I started taking serequel about 6 months ago because of a second in 3 years bout with depression. Feeling better after a few months I told my doctor that I still felt a little spacey. She prescribed adderall (adderrall). People with ADHD like myself who take a stimulant like this get a reverse effect. I am now for the first time in 42 years able to stay on task without having to be ineracting with something like a guitar or golf clubs which I am highly accomplished in both. I use to alway have to be working with a tangible object to stay focused and sometimes that became difficult. Everyone in my family and also my friends can tell a difference. This medication is not for everyone but I can tell you it has been a blessing for me.

With warmest regards,

Tigger
I take aderall, and I can't speak for your man, but with me, I would want some one to tell my husband that if it seems like I am not paying attention to what he is saying, that its not because I don't care, its just that there is alot going on in my mind.

And I don't know about him, but I loose things alot. It drives my husband crazy. I am always loosing my keys. Its cuz when I set my keys down, I am not thinking "I am setting my keys on the table" Iam thinking something more like "What am I going to do tomorw, why did I say that, I wonder why he did that" and on and on and on. So don't yell at him for loosing stuff, that is my primary advice.

Don't worry about anything, I sometimes have a little drink just to wind down after work, just so long as I don't get carried away.
People with ADD, can at times be very out spoken and simple task are hard to master.  Despite being on medications.  If he is drinking anymore then two or three drinks a night, I would be concerned.  And his sex drive could actually be increased if he may have increasing anxiety.  No big worry here though.
my boyfriend of three years has ADHD. we entered college together, but he failed out after our freshman year, despite being extremely intelligent. his adderall (adderrall) prescription was adjusted after that, and now he's back in school at a different university and getting A's and B's. it was pretty much impossible for him to remember to do his homework, or to remember to go to class when he was caught up in doing something else. he's much more in control of himself academically now. as for how it affects our relationship, he is not very attentive when he doesnt take his medication or it wears off. he sometimes skips it on the weekends when he doesnt have much work to do. he is noticeably different in personality without the meds, but he's still the same person, just way more interested in TV or online comics or video games... he seems to 'zone out' into whatever media he's experiencing. when he forgets to take the meds in the morning and ends up taking them later in the day, he has trouble falling asleep if they havent worn off by bedtime. also, the meds decrease his appetite; i often have to remind him to eat during the day. i didn't notice any other replies from significant others of ADHD sufferers, so i thought my additional perspective might be helpful to you. hope it was.