ADD / ADHD Community
Adderall XR and COPD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Adderall XR and COPD

I have recently been prescribed Adderall (adderrall) XR 20 mg for adult ADHD.  I have been diagnosed with mild COPD.  I am currently on an Albuterol Inhaler as needed, which luckily isn't very often.  I'm on Norvasc for high blood pressure (controlled quite well) and Celexa 40 mg a day.  I guess that I'm kind of nervous about taking the Adderall (adderrall) XR after reading about all the possible side effects.  Realistically I know that my doctor would not have prescribed it if she did not think it was safe and I was given all the information, plus I did research.  I guess what I'm looking for here are others who might be on the same medications (or similar) and some words of encouragement.  thanks in advance.  Sue
Adderall is a form of speed. You have to decide if you are happy with that. Also it is addictive. Some doctors are great and some are awful. So just the fact of being a doctor does not make one infallible. In any case, the decision to use or not use Adderall (adderrall) is yours.
     What allmymarbles says is true, but if you have ADHD or ADD it doesn't work like speed does to a non ADHDer.  A 20mgXR is a very small dose.  It would be impossible to get addicted to that.  Now if your doctor was an idiot and get upping the dose and refilling your prescriptions frequently, it would be a different story.   From what I have read on this forum, over the last 4 years - I think it is worth a try.
    There are also two sites aimed at the adult ADD sufferer that you might want to check out.  they are totallyadd.com and http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors.
       Both sites are done by people with ADD.  totallyadd was actually a PBS special and consequently is a series of short videos.  Quite entertaining and useful.   Jeffs add mind really reflects him.  Has much more adult interaction.  Both are worth checking out.
     Hope this is helpful, best wishes!!
i've been taking norvasc for high blood pressure now for about 13 months now, in which my blood pressure seems to be under control for the most part. even with activities and eating right it just seems to be something passed down from family member to family member. However when adderall (adderrall) first came out in the late 1990's my nero Dr., placed me on the medication, and i went from a 1.5 GPA student to graduating top of my class with honors with a 4.0... anyways i then stop the medication, which i had no problem stopping at all since i slowly went from two 20 mg of adderall (adderrall) a day for each 8 hours class in the morning and night. To one pill and day, to one pill every other day, till nothing at all. SO don't think it's like taking (CRACK COCAINE) and almost impossible to stop. Now every one is different and everyone's body acts different under almost every different (Drug), Which when taking into the human body has a physiological effect on that person).
Know with that said since you take blood pressure med's like i do, and seems to be like you suffer from adult ADHD. BOTH MED'S work a little differently, since your BP is high like mine and you take the same medication for it norvasc which is a calcium channel blocker/ which also causes headaches, but also lowers BP works great for me. and know in my late 30's im back on adderall (adderrall) 20 mg, to try to live a little bit normal life without my mind trying to complete 10 things at once... However both med's are known to cause headaches and one is known to higher blood pressure. but if you really do need adderall (adderrall) the medication it should calm you down at least your mind from racing around or your brain for that matter. And your body always feeling like it's at a (10) out of (10) all the time. Just like an (+ & +) it should = an NEGATIVE. But i still use both med's because the quality of life is better with them. Just like me i check my BP everyday, and only try to use the adderall (adderrall) when i need to real ( SO CALL BE THERE) lol mentally. Cause high BP is a real killer, in which you can just drop that one day. ALSO ADDERALL (adderrall) IS A MIX OF TWO DRUGS AMPHETAMINE & DEXTROAMPETAMINE, WHERE IN OTHER: PSYCHOSTIMULANTS. THERE ARE ONLY ONE PART OF THE DRUG WHICH IS DEXTROAMPETAMINE, DRUG NAME (DEXEDRINE). MAY BE AN ANOTHER OPTION.