ADD / ADHD Community
Adderall and Nutrition

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Adderall and Nutrition

I have been taking the "generic" Adderall (adderrall) 20 mg tablet for some years now (6-7) I requested the generic since it is cheaper, but since it is a tablet and not a capsule, Im aware that all that time it was IR, not XR as the prescription requested. I took a break for about 6 months, and now, going back to school I have started back up on Adderall (adderrall) 20 mg XR capsule. I see more side effects with this med than I ever did with the IR- Headaches, "lump in throat"  5 hrs in, severe appitite suppresion, and nausea to the point that I have to lay down for up to 2 hours. ( I'm suprised I CAN lay down, at times even sleep while on thte med, it makes me feel better) The nausea is so bad I have actually resorted to weed to counter act it and bring back my appitite. The main concern is that my bowles have become VERY frequent, I can feel them moving fast thru out the day and  excess gas. I have at least 2 BMs a day, mostly very soft and at times unformed. I eat very healthy, organic meals and focus alot on my nutrition because I am constantly trying to prevent  cervical dysplasia, treating myself with many vitamins and supplements.  I understand that since adderall (adderrall) is a stimulent, it will speed the process up, but does that mean that my body is not efficiantly absorbing the nutrients from my food and supplements?
i don't think you should take that medicine anymore it is a form of speed
you could be allergic  to it and might not need it
try to find something natural to take
also you should check out your brain and see if your hypocampuss its okay
also do you even like what you are studying ?
  I am wondering if when you started back to school that you also changed to a more "healthy" diet.  Your BM's sound very typical for someone who has gone to a high fiber diet and whose body has not adjusted.  I don't know what supplements you are taking, but it is very easy to overdo it and have many of the symptoms you have mentioned.  I can find nothing in the literature that suggests that diet can affect  cervical dysplasia.  Google it to see what I mean.  I would take a very close look at what you are taking and make sure that you are not exceeding the normal daily adult requirements by much.  Consumer reports has had some pretty good articles on vitamins etc.
   As for your other side effects,  the appetite supression does happen.   The lump in throat and nausea could be related to a GERD like condition due to either stress or what you are eating/taking.  In short, I think that its at least possible that at least some of what you are experiencing is due to your diet and not the medication.  
   I am also curious as to if you take only one tablet in the morning or if you take a second later on.  Basically to get a lump in the throat 5 hours after taking the tablet would suggest that it is not the med doing that.  When does the nausea hit?  What have you done or taken just before the nausea?  And have you had any decent food (carbs) within 3 hours of the nausea?   Hope this helps.  I got into supplements as I got older and essentially (due to research) have really toned down my intake.
I am taking a B complex, folic acid ( googe folic acid and cervical dysplasia) , Vitamin E, Echinacea and Goldenseal and green tea, basically focusing on my immune system. Since no doc I have seen has said much of ANYTHING for the cervical dysplasia, Im taking a more holistic route. As for diet; I am Gluten intolerant, meaning I do not each wheat, barley or rye. When I made this change, I knew I needed to be sure I get enough B vitamins, fiber, iron and zinc. I each a lot of rice potato, some corn products, a lot of baked goods from various flours ( tapioca, almond, rice and more). I east alot of  raw fruits and veggies. My diet has not changed since my gluten free change 2 years ago. I have a hunch the nausea is from a combination of  eating less due to appetite suppression and a dosage of adderall (adderrall) that is too high, since I let my tolerance build back up? My bowel changes started when I started the new 20 mg XR. My main curiosity is if it affects my digestion like that, is it giving my body time to absorb nutrients from food and supplements.  I guess can take my supplements 1 hr before Adderall (adderrall) or at QHS, which is one solution. I will look up on vitamin overdoses though, thanks for the idea.