ADD / ADHD Community
Adderall vs. Concerta

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Adderall vs. Concerta

My 9 year old son has been taking 72mg of Concerta every day for over a year now.  The cost of the medication is outrageous.  Our doctor has written us new prescription for him for Adderall (adderrall) during the day and Ritilan for homework time if it is needed.  My questions is, is there any significant side effects or dangers between the Concerta and Adderall (adderrall)?
My husband is very reluctant to switch is medication and we are just trying to get some help with the questions we have.  
Consider: your son has apparently experienced positive results with Concerta which is a  form of  methylphenidate, while Adderall (adderrall) is a form of dextroamphetamine  (Ritalin and Dexedrine).  Frequently  the forms of methylphenidate work better for ADHD Hyperactive while the dextroamphetamines work better for the Inattentive.

Which is your son? To compound matters further if he is an "active" young man, is his activity "motor" or "distractablitIy" driven? A question equally as important as side effects is how effective a new med will be in comparison to the old one.

If meds work any side effects should be minimal, if behavior changes for the worse, change back to old meds.

Basically,

Basically,
both of the medicines that you are talking about have bad side effects.The best thing you can do for your son  would be to look up the side effects to these drungs.

My son has been on both of these drugs and it change him,he started having seizures after being on them,witch is a side effect to the medicine.

The doctors and schools these days push these drugs on children as if they where candy.They are like speed ,people on the street like these drugs because they give them a rush and they have a hard time getting off of them. If you take him off any medicine you need to do it slowly because if you don't ,it could really mess your son up badly

instead of giving him those medicines the doctors should of had you try giving him , Vitamin B6 and Omega 3-6-6 this helps by going to the brain and can help them calm down so they can learn.

I started giving my son the Vitamins after I read about them on this site.And they have helped my son so he can learn better,and he also has gone threw a lot and has to take medicines for Seizures since 2006.

There are other things that the doctors should look at that go along with a child who looks like they have add or adhd. But they don't do the work to find out and parents don't always know better.. Wish I had know before I drugged my son with those drugs

hope this helps you all..
krichar commented on Des_a_rae's status
hansen20 commented on hansen20's status
hansen20 added the Menstrual Cycle Tracker