ADD / ADHD Community
Adhd/speech delays

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Adhd/speech delays

anyone have a child that had speech delays? my son just turned 5, has not been diagnosed w/ adhd (neuro md told us to watch and b/c he was so young) he also has moderate language delays..
just curious if anyone has been thru' if notice adhd can be connected w/ language delays vice/vs etc
Hi there my son is now nearly 8 and still has speech and language delays, as well as ADHD, yes i belive its normal for this to happen as well as devlopmental delays, im not sure why this, something to do with the way th brain is wired, but then I belive it all becomes more complex as they say one can interfere with the other, so there for is it ADHD or judt a very frustrated child through lack of spech and language.

Anymore info needed just ask
When my son was an infant, he had multiple ear infections. At 10 months tubes were put in his ears.  At 2 yr annual physical, Dr asked me if my son was speaking in 2 -3 word sentences.  NO was the answer.  He directed me to a speech therapist, that noticed "sensory perception problems", which sent me to an Occupational Therapist, that told us he was developmentally behind.  Once he made it to 1st grade and the teacher felt Mike might be dyslexic......we were well aware of problems.  He's 17 now, doing great in a school that has a "multi-sensory" learning approach.  The best thing he's got going for him is his self-esteem.  Knowing there were issues, working on them, telling him and showing him how smart he was.....he's never felt "stupid" like so many of these kids find themselves feeling.  Network, network, network........reach out to people, get him tested, don't just go with one opinion!  Good luck!  There is light at the end of the tunnel!
My son had speech delays as well as developmental delays.  He was adopted, and has ADHD.  Part of the speech problem was he talked around his thumb.  I noticed he and his brother who is ADD mispronounced many words.  I wasn't sure if this was ADD or neglect.  I can see why ADD/ADHD can effect speech, because these children don't pay full attention to how things are said in order to copy them correctly.  My son is now 11, and speaking fine.  In fact, he just got commended performance on his Science Standardized Test (which is the hardest).

Good luck and God bless.
My son is 8yrs old and has no speech at all, he is ASD diagnosed, but in spite of all he is a wonderful child and communicates well through PECS and just simply showing a person his needs. Pictures seem to help
My grandson is 5 1/2. At 16-18mo old we discovered that his ears were 80% blocked. We had the tubes put in and did whatever we could for him but still couldn't understand him. So we have him in speech therapy now. He's doing better but there are still times he acts out what he's trying to say.  I thought all was great until he gets to play w/other kids and saw that he became violent towards them. His behavior toward his peers is very scary.I took him to the MD and now he's on meds for ADHD, Tenex and Clonidine. I'm feeling very frustrated and doubting myself as a parent. I have 3 grown kids of my own (1 being adoptive) and have gone thru this already and don't want to do it again, but I love this child so much it hurts me to see him go thru this.  I don't know what to do - any guidance out there?  His mom was diagnosed mildly retarded and father bipolar.
Sorry, I didn't ad this -
He was also DX w/PTSD w/possible ADHD - now what more does he get to look forward to???